• Print

Campus Advisory: Southwest Hall Fire

Sep 11, 2013

Students were briefly evacuated from Southwest Hall early Sunday evening (Sept. 8) as firefighters extinguished a small electrical fire.

No one was injured, but 18 students were temporarily relocated to other spaces on campus while work crews restored power to their rooms. Students were able to return to their rooms by 2 p.m. Monday.  

Campus officials said the fire apparently occurred because too many appliances had been plugged into an outlet in one of the rooms. Southwest Hall is the second largest residence hall on the Stockton campus, housing 248 students, and home to the Freshman Residential Learning Community.

In response to the recent incidents, the Office of Housing and Greek Life has taken several steps to prevent further incidents, including conducting door-to-door walk-and-knocks reminding residents about residence hall policies and procedures that help decrease the risk of fire; placing notices in high traffic areas on fire response and evacuation protocols; and partnering with Public Safety and Fire/Life Safety to present active educational programs in each residential community about general safety, including fire safety, in the residential communities.