Benefits news-Help for smoother back-to-school transitions
When summer ends, the days of going to bed late, sleeping in every morning, and playing outside until it's dark go away and daily routines change.
Whether beginning kindergarten, going back to primary school or returning for another year of high school, the transition back to school usually requires a stricter time schedule and adjusting to a new classroom, new teachers or new academic challenges.
Younger children can easily become overwhelmed by the idea of starting a new school or a new caregiving arrangement. Parents can help to ease any stress or anxiety their children are experiencing by trying to view the situation from the child's perspective.
Here are a few tips:
1. Prepare in advance by talking about the changes that will be happening
2. Try getting up earlier a week before school starts
3. Discuss how things will be different from last year
4. Involve them in preparations for school like shopping for school supplies and clothes/uniforms.
5. Do not be rushed on the first day and help your child get acquainted with the classroom
Click here>> to read the full article and see many more tips from your Employee Assistance Plan. (First time users must enter EAPBusiness as your company Web ID and enter UNIVE as your employer name) The article is listed under the Work and Education tab, toggle down to K-12 School.