Commitment to Sustainability
Responsible leadership requires individuals and organizations to carefully evaluate short- and long-term social, economic, and environmental impacts of decisions before acting. The University of the Pacific is committed to creating a campus culture that advances this approach for a sustainable future among all members of the Pacific community. The University will demonstrate this commitment through the use of sustainable practices in the conduct of all operations, as well as sustainability-focused educational programs, research, and outreach with our local communities.
To meet this commitment and ensure a high quality of life for ourselves and future generations, the University will implement the following proactive strategies to develop within the Pacific community an ethos of sustainable practice and an understanding of the complex inter-relationships between environmental, economic and social justice concerns.
Teaching, Learning, and Outreach
- Facilitating the development of innovative, multidisciplinary curricular and co-curricular programs to ensure that all Pacific graduates understand the interconnected nature of the social, economic, and environmental components of sustainability and sustainable decision-making.
- Encouraging students and faculty to advance our understanding of sustainability through scholarly activity and artistic expression by providing encouragement, financial support, and recognition.
- Engaging the Pacific community and its external constituencies through educational programs including scholarly and artistic activities that address sustainability practices and concerns at the local, regional, state, national, and global levels.
Stewardship and University Operations
- Supporting a culture that embraces sustainability by providing the Pacific community with guidance, information, educational programs, and best-practice modeling.
- Reducing consumption by using resources efficiently, employing cost-effective technologies and innovative approaches.
- Limiting potential air, water, and land pollution through effective waste management programs, reuse of materials when feasible, and reduction in the amount of waste produced.
- Ensuring that the University is meeting its commitment to sustainability through annual assessment of its programs and practices using established goals and metrics.
In support of Pacific's commitment to sustainability, all divisions of the University will use these practices and principles during strategic planning and development of programs, capital projects, and policies as well as ongoing day-to-day operations.