Inter-American Summer Institute
This Program has been cancelled for 2011.
The Inter-American Summer Institute is a five-week intensive college level English immersion study program that starts July 11 and concludes August 12.
This program is an on campus living and learning program designed to prepare summer scholars for success as university students.
ESL coursework will be supplemented by activities with Conversation Buddies. University student leaders will serve as IA Summer Institute
Advisors and counselors to guide scholars in their adjustment to life and the college experience.
Additionally, workshops will help scholars develop skills to enhance their success and leadership in college and their professional careers.
This special summer curriculum, offered in conjunction with the Gladys L. Benerd School of Education, centers on three, three-unit English as a second language (ESL) courses:
- Intermediate ESL : Speaking and Listening
- Intermediate ESL: Writing and Grammar
- Issues in Contemporary Society
In addition to the full academic schedule and English language immersion, IA Summer Institute scholars will experience the sights, history and culture of Central California. Outings include San Francisco, the state capitol in Sacramento, Yosemite National Park, Silicon Valley and other famous attractions of the Golden State.
To be accepted, you must:
- Be 16 years of age or have completed your junior year of high school by July 11, 2011
- Submit official high school or other transcripts with the completion of at least four years of intensive study of English with satisfactory grades or TOEFL/IELTS/SAT test scores that establish the ability to undertake intermediate ESL courses
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake college level courses in your application packet
- Pay the application fee and tuition of $5,985 by May 15
Application Packet - to be completed by April 15!
- Complete online application
- 300-500 word statement on why studying in the U.S. will help you meet your personal goals
- Official high school transcripts (one copy in English and one in the original language)
- English language test scores or letter in a sealed envelope from an English language instructor asserting that the high school study completed is sufficient to undertake intermediate ESL courses
- A recommendation from a teacher or counselor in a sealed envelope
- $75 non-refundable application fee
For more information call the Center for Professional & Continuing Education at 800.959.5376