Pacific Geosciences Center
Our department occupies the Pacific Geosciences Center, located at 1051 West Mendocino Avenue along the southern edge of the University of the Pacific campus. Built in the 1940's, this art-deco style building was originally part of the Stockton Junior College campus and was used to teach machinists and automotive engineers. The building was beautifully renovated in 2000, and now contains a mixture of modern classroom, laboratory and office spaces.
Gruwell Mineral Collection
The Earth & Environmental Sciences department houses the Gruwell Mineral Collection, a spectacular exhibit of over 5,000 mineral specimens collected by Elva and Orrie Gruwell. The collection was donated to Pacific by Gail Kautz, a former member of the Board of Regents, and her husband, John.
Local and regional schools and mineral clubs hold field trips to view the collection, which includes samples from around the world.
Research Laboratories and Equipment
We operate and maintain a range of specialized facilities and equipment for teaching- and research-related programs. Our GIS, hydrogeology, soils and X-ray laboratories were funded by a grant from the W. M. Keck Foundation. Our "smart" classrooms and various teaching laboratories were funded by a grant from the Ralph M. Parsons Foundation. Earth & Environmental Sciences majors have access to these laboratory spaces in evenings and on weekends.
- Geographical Information Systems Laboratory
- Hydrogeology & Soils Laboratory
- W.M. Keck Analytical X-Ray (XRD/XRF) Laboratory
- Rock Sample Preparation Laboratory