Why Study Earth Sciences?
Someone who likes the outdoors, hiking, and camping? If you enjoy nature and are interested in understanding how the world around us works, you belong in the Department of Earth & Environmental Science. We offer rigorous degree programs in Geology and Environmental Science that will prepare you for successful careers.
We build outdoor experiences built into every class and facilitate abundant domestic & international travel opportunities. While many of these trips explore fascinating locations throughout California, we also offer trips that explore a much broader range of locations around our world. Recent locations include the Chilean Patagonia, Hawaii, and the Colorado Plateau. In the future, we hope to visit the Canadian Rockies, Scotland, Cypress, and even Iceland.
Take an active role in your education!
We emphasize active, hands-on, field-oriented approaches to the study of the Earth. In addition to our dynamic courses, our department provides unparalleled student research opportunities... and our students routinely publish their results! We also offer a wide variety of outreach and service opportunities and experiences.
Prepare for a successful career
We offer a range of degree options that support a wide range of high-demand career paths. To make our students even more competitive, our classes also integrate career-oriented professional development, including leadership training and advanced certifications in wilderness first aid and defensive driving.
Our building contains a mixture of modern classroom, laboratory and office spaces. We operate and maintain a range of specialized equipment for teaching- and research-related programs. We have five separate labs, each serving distinct scientific purposes.
Join our family!
We offer all this in a close, family-like community. Our department offers field-, lab- and lecture-based learning experiences that foster a close-knit community environment. Here, students and faculty interact in both formal and informal settings, which is the best way to explore the Earth.
Top Ten Reasons to be an Earth & Environmental Sciences Major
- The job market for Earth Scientists is excellent
- Friendly and supportive peers and knowledgeable faculty advisors, who answer on a first-name basis.
- Small class sizes guarantee you will get the support you need.
- Student-centered research opportunities to support your educational goals.
- Training and support on a wide variety of instruments and laboratory procedures to assist you with your experiments.
- Opportunities for travel to field locations throughout CA, across North America, and around the world.
- Great guest speakers from both industry and academia, to broaden conversations and build your professional network.
- An emphasis on the writing and public speaking skills that today's employers expect.
- Once you understand how planets work, you just might change one for the better.
- Fun! We love what we do and it is contagious.