(The content posted here may not be up to date. Please see the latest General Catalog for current degree requirements.)
We require 11 English courses to complete the major, with a minimum of 40 units in English. These requirements are designed to give you a thorough overview and understanding of the field of English studies with broad coverage of literary periods and theories and a solid foundation in writing and argument. The requirements are also designed with flexibility in mind, so you can focus your major around your individual interests and explore cross-disciplinary thinking. The English Major works well as a double-major with many other programs on campus. Individual course selection will be done in consultation with your faculty adviser. Refer to the General Catalog for all the details of degree requirements.
Requirements for the English Major
To major in English at the University of the Pacific, you must take:
- ENGL 25
- ENGL 41 British Literature before 1800
- Two of the following survey courses:
- ENGL 43 British Literature after 1800
- ENGL 51 American Literature before 1865
- ENGL 53 American Literature after 1865
- ENGL 63 Masterpieces of World Literature
- One of the following critical theory courses:
- ENGL 125 Critical Colloquium
- ENGL 127 Contemporary Critical Issues
- One of the following writing courses:
- ENGL 105 Technical Communications
- ENGL 109 Writing in the Workplace
- Five additional electives in English. At least four of these must be upper-level classes.
Requirements for the English Minor
Students must complete a minimum of six courses (22 units) in English with a Pacific minor grade point average of 2.0 in order to earn a minor in English.
- ENGL 25
- Select two of the following:
- British Literature before 1800
- British Literature after 1800
- American Literature before 1865
- American Literature after 1865
- Masterpieces of World Literature
- ENGL Electives - three additional courses numbered 100 or above
General Education Requirements
In addition to the requirements for the Major, you need to meet the following College and University requirements as well:
Minimum 42 units and 12 courses, including:
- PACS 001 Pacific Seminar I: What is a Good Society?
- PACS 002 Pacific II Topical Seminar
- PACS 003 Pacific Seminar III: The Ethics of Family, Work, and Citizenship
Note: 1) Pacific Seminars cannot be taken for Pass/No Credit. 2) Transfer students with 16 or more transfer units complete 2 additional General Education elective courses from below in place of taking PACS 001 and 002.
One course from each subdivision below:
- The Individual and Society
- IA. Individual and Interpersonal Behavior
- IB. U.S. Studies
- IC. Global Studies
- Human Heritage
- IIA. Literature, Letters and Language
- IIB. Fundamental Human Concerns
- IIC. Practice and Perspective in the Visual and Performing Arts
- Natural World and Formal Systems of Thought
- IIIA. Life and Physical Laboratory Sciences
- IIIB. Formal Systems of Thought
- IIIC. Science, Technology, and Society
or a second Life and Physical Laboratory Science
Note: 1) A complete list of the courses that satisfy the subdivisions above can be found in the front General Education section of this catalog and the online course search. 2) No more than two courses from a discipline may be applied to meet the requirements of the general education program.
College of the Pacific BA Requirement
a. One year of college instruction or equivalent training in a language other than English.
Note: 1) Transfer students with sophomore standing are exempt from this requirement.
Demonstrate competence in:
- Quantitative analysis
A detailed description of how you can satisfy the fundamental skills above can be found in the front General Education section of the General Catalog.
Complete 64 units outside the primary discipline of the first major, regardless of the department that offers the course(s) in that discipline (Including general education courses, transfer courses, CPCE/EXTN units, internships, etc.)