English students find numerous opportunities to develop the power of individual imagination in and out of the classroom under the mentoring of dedicated professors.
- Students will participate in thought-provoking reading and discussion in courses covering American, British, and World literature, including poetry.
- Creative writing classes offer a chance for students to create thought-provoking works of their own.
- Courses focused on professional writing and critical theory give students experience in nonfiction writing.
All courses offered aim to prepare students for careers and lives rich in critical thinking and literacy. Our students graduate with real-world skills and a passion for literature and knowledge that give them a unique perspective on the world around them as they step into their futures.
Experience a Strong Sense of Community
Our faculty is a tight-knit and diverse group of teacher-scholars who are committed to teaching in a liberal arts environment that values the educational growth of individual students. Because of the small student population at Pacific, students and faculty in the English department often form strong bonds and collaborate with one another through a variety of projects and activities.
In addition, students are able to build and strengthen bonds with each other. Small class sizes facilitate intimate discussion circles, and student-centered activities, such as the Society of English Cohorts or Pacific's literary magazine, Calliope, offer other opportunities for interaction.
Connect With Other Disciplines
The English department works closely with other departments and programs on campus to further enhance the learning experience at Pacific.
- Interdisciplinary studies courses such as Literature and the Environment, or Literature and Science, look at interactions between the humanities and natural sciences, while other courses look at the relationship between literature and art.
- The Film, Gender and Ethnic Studies programs, as well as the Humanities Center, coordinate with the English department in hosting extracurricular activities such as guest speakers and conferences.