Skip to content
  • Print

Food Studies' Frequently Asked Questions


How can I learn more about the program?
Call 415.400.8222, option 3 or email to learn more about the program.

What degree does the program offer?
The degree earned through this program is a Master of Arts in Food Studies.

Can I earn a PhD in Food Studies at University of the Pacific?
This program offers only an MA. It is great preparation for continuing on to a PhD program.

How long will it take me to complete the program?

Full‐time students can complete the program in as little as two years (4 semesters). Part‐time students will take longer, from three to seven years.

What career paths can I pursue?
There are infinite food‐related careers to pursue. For some ideas, visit our Careers in Food page.


How much does it cost to attend The Food  Studies program?
Tuition costs $1,080 per unit. Food Studies courses are 4 units each, so one course during the 2017‐18 school year costs $4320. A full‐time student will pay $8640 per semester. The tuition and fees schedule can be found on the student accounts webpage.

What kind of financial aid is available?
Food Studies students may be eligible for financial aid. Graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens may apply for federal student loans (see Loan Information). All Graduate Students who are interested in applying for loans or other types of aid should complete an online FAFSA. Additional information can be found here: Applicants should contact the Office of Financial Aid directly 209.946.2421 or for answers to specific financial aid questions.

Do you offer teaching assistantships or graduate assistantships?
At the present time, the Food Studies program does not offer teaching/graduate assistantships.


How many students are in the program?
We are a small and personalized program. For fall 2017, we have about 30 students active in the program.

What is required to apply to the program?
Applicants submit a personal statement, a resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts from any college previously attended. We do not require the GRE.

How do I apply?
The application process is straightforward and is all online. Click here to access the Graduate Application and begin the application process, or just peek at the form. You do not have to complete the application all at once, you can start it now and return to it when you have your materials ready to upload.

Is it possible for me to see the campus and talk with the program director?
Yes! We offer Information Sessions on Saturdays each semester and the program director is available to meet prospective students on campus during the week. To schedule a one‐on‐one meeting, contact the program director Polly Adema at To see the date of the next Information Session, Info Session Dates.

Do you offer admission for the spring semester?
No. We strongly encourage all students to commence the program in the fall. If you have extenuating circumstances, contact the Food Studies Department to discuss your situation

Do I need to submit official transcripts when I apply?
Yes, Graduate Admission requires all applicants to submit official transcripts from each institution of higher learning attended. Official transcripts are requested and received digitally through the application process.

What are the prerequisite courses?
There are no prerequisite courses required to apply to the Food Studies program, regardless of your undergraduate major.

Is the Food Studies program accredited?
Yes. The Food Studies program, like the University of the Pacific, is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).


What are the deadlines?

March 1 (Early); May 1 (Priority) and July 1 (Late). In order to meet our application deadlines, your application needs to be marked as "RECEIVED" by the Office of Graduate Admission by the application deadline.

What is the minimum GPA required to apply to the Food Studies program?  
The minimum GPA required to apply is a 3.0.

Do I need to take the GRE exam?
No. We do not require applicants to take the GRE exam.

What if my recommender DOES NOT want to upload his/her letter of recommendation to the online application?
Please contact for alternate methods of submission.

When will my application be reviewed?  What is the timeline for hearing a decision?
Our department has a rolling review process. You can expect to receive your application decision within 3 weeks of your completed application being received by the program.

When will I find out if I was admitted?
Our department has a rolling review process. You can expect to receive your application decision within 3 weeks of your completed application being received by the program.

If admitted to the program, when will I need to make my decision?
Student decisions to accept or decline the invitation to join our program is requested within 2 weeks from notice of your official acceptance into the program. If you need more time, contact the program to discuss your situation.


Can I attend a class and not pursue a Master of Arts in Food Studies?
Students interested in Food Studies and not wanting to earn a degree can take up to 12 units as an Unclassified Student. If interested, please contact the program director, Director Polly Adema at to discuss. To register as an unclassified student, a student must provide official transcripts confirming an undergraduate degree and submit a completed one‐page application form to the Registrar.

If you have any additional questions regarding the application process or about other aspects of the Master of Arts in Food Studies program, please contact the program director, Dr. Polly Adema, at