Bachelor of Arts in Sport Sciences with a Concentration in Sport Management
As a business, sport is an incredibly exciting industry. Not only is sport among the nation's top ten industries in the U.S., worth over $250 billion, but it is a dynamic industry that is often on the leading edge of change.
Sport Management is the discipline that provides students with the skills necessary to succeed in such an environment. Pacific's Sport Management curriculum integrates a liberal arts core with a pre-professional focus on leading sport organizations. In fact, it is the only California university with an undergraduate curriculum approved by the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM).
The content posted here may not be up to date. Please see the latest General Catalog for current degree requirements and course listings.)
I. General Education Requirements
Minimum 42 units and 12 courses, including:
- PACS 001 Pacific Seminar I: What is a Good Society?
- PACS 002 Pacific II Topical Seminar
- PACS 003 Pacific Seminar III: The Ethics of Family, Work, and Citizenship
Note: 1) Pacific Seminars cannot be taken for Pass/No Credit. 2) Transfer students with 16 or more transfer units complete 2 additional General Education elective courses from below in place of taking PACS 001 and 002.
One course from each subdivision below:
- The Individual and Society
- IA. Individual and Interpersonal Behavior
- IB. U.S. Studies
- IC. Global Studies
- Human Heritage
- IIA. Literature, Letters and Language
- IIB. Fundamental Human Concerns
- IIC. Practice and Perspective in the Visual and Performing Arts
- Natural World and Formal Systems of Thought
- IIIA. Life and Physical Laboratory Sciences
- IIIB. Formal Systems of Thought
- IIIC. Science, Technology, and Society
or a second Life and Physical Laboratory Science
Note: 1) A complete list of the courses that satisfy the subdivisions above can be found in the front General Education section of this catalog and the online course search. 2) No more than two courses from a discipline may be applied to meet the requirements of the general education program.
II. College of the Pacific BA Requirement
a. One year of college instruction or equivalent training in a language other than English.
Note: 1) Transfer students with sophomore standing are exempt from this requirement.
III. Fundamental Skills
Demonstrate competence in:
- Quantitative analysis
Note: 1) A detailed description of how you can satisfy the fundamental skills above can be found in the front General Education section of this catalog.
IV. Breadth Requirement
Complete 64 units outside the primary discipline of the first major, regardless of the department who offers the course(s) in that discipline (Including general education courses, transfer courses, CPCE/EXTN units, internships, etc.)
V. Major Requirements
Minimum 65 units, including:
- SPTS 100 Introduction to Research
- SPTS 127 Philosophy of Sport
- SPTS 147 Exercise Physiology
- SPTS 165 Sports Law
- SPTS 167 Introduction to Sport Management
- SPTS 169 Managing Sport Enterprises
- SPTS 171 Sport Economics and Finance
- SPTS 174 Sport Marketing and Promotions
- SPTS 175 Sport Event Management
- SPTS 187a Internship: Sport Management
- SPTS 187b Internship: Sport Management
- One of the following courses:
- SPTS 139 Sport Psychology
- SPTS 141 Sport in America
- BUSI 031 Principles of Financial Accounting
- BUSI 107 Marketing Management
- One of the following courses:
- COMM 027 Public Speaking
- COMM 043 Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
- COMP 025 Computers and Information Processing
- ECON 053 Introductory Microeconomics