Music Therapy Equivalency Program in San Francisco
University of the Pacific's Conservatory of Music is pleased to extend its reach to the Bay Area with the establishment of a Music Therapy Equivalency Program at Pacific's new state-of-the-art San Francisco campus in fall 2015. This program will allow professionals with an academic background in music to pursue a career in music therapy in a dynamic, engaging environment that is alive with opportunity.
Currently accepting students, the Music Therapy Equivalency program is designed to allow participants to study music therapy while maintaining their personal and professional obligations. Studying with our renowned faculty on the San Francisco campus will provide opportunities for clinical practice at distinguished facilities, including Benioff Children's Hospital at University of California, San Francisco.
This flexible professional program will emphasize individualized faculty mentoring and a legacy of excellence that has typified Pacific's Music Therapy program for the past 75 years. The San Francisco Music Therapy program is designed for life-long learners who are interested in honing their music skills in healthcare and educational settings. To meet the needs of working professionals, participating students will have the option to complete the course sequence at their own pace while receiving clinical supervision from an extensive network of qualified music therapists.
On October 7, 2014, Program Director, Dr. Feilin Hsiao, was featured on The Academic Minute, a nationally-syndicated radio program from WAMC Northeast Public Radio. Dr. Hsiao spoke about how cochlear implants can bring music to those who previously could not enjoy it. You can listen to her segment below.
- Admissions Requirements in General
- Application forms and instructions
- Prepare two contrasting pieces on your principal musical instrument.
- Sing two pieces from traditional or contemporary musical styles and accompany yourself with piano and guitar. You may use sheet music or a lead sheet.
- Sing an American folk song from memory unaccompanied.
- Please contact Dr. Feilin Hsiao, Program Director, to schedule an audition. If you are unable to arrange for a campus audition/assessment, you will be expected to video tape your audition.
- Graduate Catalog