More than 38 Years of Excellence
History of the Eberhardt School of Business
Business courses have been offered at University of the Pacific for most of its 163-year history. In 1977, the business program was recognized as a separate school and named the School of Business and Public Administration (SBPA). It was the first new professional school established at Pacific since 1955.
In 1982, SBPA moved into Weber Hall. One of the first buildings constructed when the campus was moved from San Jose to Stockton in 1924, it was named for Captain Charles Weber, founder of the City of Stockton. In 1983, the School was first accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business. With the arrival of a business school, an intensive fundraising campaign was launched to completely refurbish the building. This project, completed in 1989, along with continued upgrades and renovation since then, has resulted in modern classrooms and offices, classroom-oriented computer labs, and executive development facilities that provide an environment conducive to business learning and research.
The SBPA expanded its outreach to the community with the establishment of a Center for Management Development in 1989. In September 1991, the center was officially named the Westgate Center for Management Development, in recognition of financial support from Edward W. Westgate, a former member of Pacific's Board of Regents.
In 1993, the SBPA first began offering the Master of Business Administration, and developed an accelerated five-year BS/MBA program.
The SBPA was renamed the Eberhardt School of Business in 1995 in recognition of the generous and substantial support given to both the School and the University by the Eberhardt family. Robert M. Eberhardt (a 1950 Business alumnus) succeeded his father as President of the Bank of Stockton and Chair of the Board of Regents. After his unexpected death in 1993, his wife, Mimi Eberhardt, assumed his position as a regent, while his brother, Douglass, a Class of 1959 Business alumnus, became President of the Bank of Stockton. Douglass Eberhardt subsequently became a regent of Pacific. Nine members of the Eberhardt family have received degrees from the University and numerous employees of the Bank of Stockton and their families are Pacific alumni.
The Eberhardt School has established innovative programs in entrepreneurship and received more than $2.6 million in grants from the Fletcher Jones, General Mills and Coca-Cola foundations and a major anonymous donor. A suite housing the offices for the Center for Entrepreneurship was constructed in Weber Hall utilizing funds donated in memory of Greenlaw Grupe Sr. This Center also houses the Institute for Family Business.
From 2003 to 2005, the newly-established Business Forecasting Center received $1.4 million in federal grants to support its services. Now called the Center for Business and Policy Research, the center provides reports on current business activity, forecasts future economic trends, and performs research and consulting services for public and private sector organizations. With more than 200 regional and national media hits each year, the Center is the most cited resource at Pacific. The Center continues to enhance the scope of its activities to play a vital role in the region's economic development, and recently added a second office location on University of the Pacific's Sacramento campus.
As part of the University's $330 million comprehensive fundraising campaign, Investing in Excellence," which closed in 2007, the Eberhardt School of Business raised more than $16 million to advance its academic programs, renovate and upgrade facilities, and fund student scholarships.
The Student Investment Fund was established in 2007 thanks to a $1 million gift from the Bank of Stockton and its president and CEO Douglass M. Eberhardt. Noting the successes of the fund, Pacific's Board of Regents invested an additional $1 million. The completely student-managed fund provides an invaluable learning experience for students, and a portion of the fund's earnings support designated University programs. The fund routinely outperforms market indices, and its current value exceeds $3 million making it one of the largest in the West. Among more than 12,700 business schools world¬wide, the Eberhardt School of Business is one of only 200 to offer a student-managed investment fund, and it recently became the first commercialized student fund in the nation (UOP/SIF Model, Morgan Stanley).
Gaining distinction through its popular Pacific Business Forum, the Eberhardt School of Business brings prominent business and government leaders to campus several times each year. Participants have included Masaaki Morita, a member of the founding family and retired CEO of Sony; Richard Rosenberg, former chairman and CEO of BankAmerica Corp.; Peter L. Harris, former president and CEO of the San Francisco 49ers; John Chambers, chairman and CEO of Cisco Systems, Inc.; and Walter Robb, co-president and COO of Whole Foods Market, Inc., and Pacific Regent.
In 2007, the Eberhardt School revised its MBA program into a full-time, 16-month program designed for students from any academic background. The MBA program is consistently listed in The Princeton Review's "Best Business Schools". Responding to the change in the California CPA requirements, the Eberhardt School launched a Bachelor of Science in Accounting and a Master of Accounting in Fall 2013. Today, the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree is the largest undergraduate degree at Pacific.
The Eberhardt School of Business cultivates the leadership skills and innovative spirit of its students while providing training in state-of-the-art business applications. Classes are highly interactive, encouraging close learning relationships between students and faculty. Career management staff and resources exclusive to business students and alumni help graduates launch successful careers. Fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the school transforms lives through excellence in business education with a faculty and staff dedicated to a learning process that is personal, relevant, and professional.