Cynthia Wagner Weick, PhD
Director of Powell Scholars Program and Professor of Management
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D.
Ohio State University, M.S. and B.S.
Cynthia Wagner Weick is Professor of Management in the Eberhardt School of Business and holds a joint appointment in the School of Engineering and Computer Science. She is also the Founding Director of the Powell Scholars Program, which is the University's top academic merit program for all majors throughout the University. Weick served as Interim Dean of Pacific's School of International Studies from May 2010 through May 2012. She has been awarded the University's Distinguished Faculty Award, as well as the Neven C. Hulsey Chair in Business Excellence.
Weick's teaching and research expertise is in strategic planning, innovation, and entrepreneurship in science and technology-based businesses. Her work has required travel to Asia, Europe, the Middle East, South America, and the former USSR. Prior to joining the faculty of the University of the Pacific, she was in strategic planning and new business development at Pioneer Hi-Bred International. She has also been a technology consultant to the United Nations Development Program, and a Research Scientist at Battelle Columbus Laboratories, where she evaluated new technologies for industrial and government clients.
UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC
Technology Venturing (MBA)
Management of Technology and Innovation (MBA)
Strategic Management and Policy (MBA/B.S.)
Global Business Competition (taught overseas) (MBA)
Engineering and Science-based Entrepreneurship (B.S.)
Management of Product Innovation (B.S.)
Powell Leadership Seminar (B.S.)
Powell Proposal Development Seminar (B.S.)
AALTO UNIVERSITY, FINLAND
Global Product Innovation (B.S.)
- Jain, R., H.C. Triandis, and C.W. Weick. 2010. Managing Research, Development and Innovation: Managing the Unmanageable, Third Edition. John Wiley & Sons (New Jersey).
- Weick, C.W. Out of Context: A Creative Approach to Strategic Management. 2004. Southwestern/Thomson Publishing (Mason, OH).
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Weick, C.W. et al. 2015. Setting the Standard for Challenge: Teaching English in Dimen, China. Honors in Practice, Volume 11, April, National Collegiate Honors Council, pp 113-132.
- Weick, C.W., and R. Jain. 2014. Rethinking Industrial Research, Development and Innovation in the 21st Century. Technology in Society. Volume 39, November , pp 110-116
- Weick, C.W. 2011. Lessons of Educating Tomorrow's Business Leaders. In Oxford Handbook of Lifelong Learning (Dr. Manuel London, editor), Oxford University Press.
- Weick, Cynthia Wagner. 2008. Issues of Consequence: Lessons for Educating Tomorrow's Business Leaders from Philosopher William James. Academy of Management Journal of Learning and Education. Vol 7 (1), pp 88-98.
- Weick, C.W. and J.D. Martin. 2006. Part time and Full time Inventors: Rising with the Creative Class. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Vol 7(1), pp 5-12.
- Weick, C.W. and C.F. Eakin. 2005. Independent Inventors and Innovation: An Empirical Study, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Vol 6 (1), pp. 5-15.
- Weick, C.W. 2003. A University-Based Model for Evaluating Inventions, the International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Vol 4(4), pp. 225-236.
- Weick, C.W., S. Kaur and A. A. Fernandez. 2003. Application of a Method for Selecting and Evaluating Environmental Technologies with Commercial Potential. International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialization, Vol 2(4), pp 399-428.
- Weick, C.W. 2003. Out of Context: Using Metaphor to Encourage Creative Thinking in Strategic Management Courses. The Journal of Management Education. Vol 27(3), pp 323-343.
- Weick, C.W. S.B. Walchli, and E.E. Eisenbarth. 2003. The Role of the Internet in the Adoption of Technological Innovations: the Case of Genetically Engineered Crops and Foods. International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialization, 2(1) pp. 89-110.
- Weick, C.W. and S.B. Walchli. 2002. Genetically Engineered Crops and Foods: Back to the Basics of Market Diffusion. Technology in Society. Vol 24: 265-283.
- Weick, C.W. 2001. Agribusiness Technology in 2010: Directions and Challenges. Technology in Society, Vol 23(1), pp 59-72.
- Wagner, C.K. 1998. Biotechnology in Mexico: Placing Science in the Service of Business. Technology in Society, Vol 20(1), pp. 61-73.
- Hawbaker, A.C. and C.K. Wagner. 1996. Periodical Ownership Versus Fulltext Online Access: A Cost-Benefit Analysis. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, March, pp.105-109.
- Wagner, C.K. 1995. Managing Change: Views from the Ancient Past. Business Horizons. Nov-Dec 1995, pp 2-6.
- Wagner, C.K. 1995. The International Agricultural Research Centers: Poised for Change. Technology in Society, Vol 17(4), pp. 437-451.
- Wagner, C.K. 1995. Would You Want Machiavelli as Your CEO? The Implications of Autocratic vs Empowering Leadership Styles to Innovation. Journal of Creativity and Innovation Management. Vol 4(2), pp 120-127.
- Wagner, C.K. 1994. International Strategic Alliances in Biotechnology: How Does Eastern Europe Fit In? Technology in Society, Vol 16(3), pp 321-333.
- Wagner, C.K. 1993. Strategy First in International Joint Ventures, Journal of Technology Transfer, Winter/Spring, pp. 39 - 48.
- Miller, Arthur and Van Voris and C.K. Wagner. 1983. Response of Agricultural Soils to Acid Deposition, Environmental and Experimental Botany, 23(3):197-284.
- Wagner, C.K, 1983. Integration of Corn-derived Production of Fuels with Animal Feed Production. In: D.L. Wise (ed), Fuels and Organic Chemicals from Biomass, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL..
- Lipinsky, E.L., McClure T.A., Kresovich S., Wagner, C.K., Otis, D.L., Trayser and Appelbaum. 1983. Potential for Seed Oils as Middle Distillate Fuels, In: E.B. Schultz and R.P. Morgan (eds), Fuel and Chemicals from Oilseeds: Technology and Policy Options," AAAS Series, Washington, D.C..
- Wagner, C.K. and M.B. McDonald. 1982. Rapid Laboratory Tests Useful for Differentiation of Soybean (Glycine max) Cultivars. Seed Science and Technology, 10:431-449.
- Kresovich, S., Scantland, D.A., Wagner, C.K and W.T.Lawhon. 1981. Emergent Aquatic Plants: Biological and Economic Perspectives. Biomass Journal. 1:127-144.
- Wagner, C.K. and M.B. McDonald. 1981. Identification of Soybean Cultivars Using Rapid Laboratory Techniques, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center Bulletin #1133, October.
TRADE JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Weick, C.W. (2009) The Prince and I. Communications Director. 66-69.
- Weick, C.W. and L. Udell, 2006. LES-SVC Questionnaire On Licensing Inventions From External Sources. Les Nouvelles, Vol XLI: 3.
- Wagner, C.K. and D. Groo. 1992. Approaching Hungarian Biotechnology. BIO/TECHNOLOGY, November, pp. 1429-1432.
- Wagner, C.K. 1992. International R & D Is the Rule. BIO/TECHNOLOGY, May, pp. 329-331.
- Weick, C.W. Handbook of Science and Technology-based Innovation. ISBN-13: 987-1494878627
- Weick, C.W. Coachingourselves.org; Sessions on Managing Metaphors, and Lessons from Machiavelli and Lao-tzu.