Julia Dare, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Strategy
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
12:15 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
1:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Monday and Wednesday
3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
and by appointment
University of Southern California, Ph.D.
Wharton School of Business, MBA
Southern Methodist University, BBA
Dr. Dare received her Ph.D. from the University of Southern California in 2011, her MBA from the Wharton School of Business in 1996, and BBA from Southern Methodist University in 1992.
Dr. Dare serves as a strategy and business ethics professor in the Eberhardt School of Business. Prior to her appointment, she taught Strategic Management in the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California, as well as International Business and Marketing at Azusa Pacific University. Her primary research interest is Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the framework of corporate governance and strategy. She is examining different models of CSR and their antecedents. She is developing new theories and measures in the area that may lead to a deeper understanding of the economic and non-economic incentives of CSR. Her research is generating empirical evidence that may distinguish which type of CSR model serves both economic and social ends.
Dr. Dare has a sole author publication forthcoming in Business and Society Review and a number of papers under review at notable journals. She has given talks on her research at the University of Sydney, Notre Dame, USC, and other institutions and been recognized for her scholarship by the Academy of Management, International Decision Sciences Institute, the National Business and Economics Society, and others.
Dr. Dare has over ten years of professional experience. She has held positions in domestic and global management with Pfizer, Merck, Allergan, and Baxter and served as a senior strategy consultant for Charles River Associates, advising firms such as J&J and Bristol-Myers Squibb.
EBERHARDT SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Strategic Management (B.S./MBA)
Corporate Social Responsibility and Business Ethics (MBA)
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Strategic Management (B.S.)
AZUSA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
International Business (B.S.)
Consumer Behavior (B.S.)
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKING PAPERS
- Dare, J. (Forthcoming, 2016). Will the Truth Set Us Free?: An Exploration of CSR Motive and Commitment. Accepted, Business and Society Review.
- Dare, J. Do Actions Speak Louder than Words? An Empirical Study of CSR. Under review at Business & Society.
- Dare, J. and Chok, J. Corporate Rainmaking: Heightened Activity During Succession Events. Under review at Journal of General Management.
- Dare, J. A Theoretical and Empirical Review of Corporate Social Responsibility: An Institutionalist Perspective. Working Paper, University of Southern California, Los Angeles.
- Dare, J. When Good Press is Not Good: The Paradox of CSR. Working Paper, University of Southern California, Los Angeles.
- Dare, J. Microsoft: Reconstituting Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Stakeholders. Working Paper, University of Southern California, Los Angeles.
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Minding the Gap: The Emerging Role of Global Corporations." Presentation at the University of Sydney Australasian Business Ethics Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2015.
- "Examining Corporate Responsibility Practices to Conceptualize a Path to Sustainability." Presentation at the Corporate Responsibility Research Conference, Marseilles, France, 2015.
- "Corporate Rainmaking: Heightened Activity during Succession Events." Proceedings and presentation at the International Research Meeting in Business and Management, Nice, France, 2014.
- "The Proverbs Extension: An Empirical Study of CSR Motives and Actions." Proceedings and presentation at the National Business and Economics Society Annual Conference, Kona, Hawaii, 2014.
- Finalist, Most Innovative Paper
- "The Truth Will Set You Free: Firm Commitment to CSR." Proceedings and presentation at the International Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference, Bali, Indonesia, 2013.
- "Socially Positive Evolution towards an Inclusive Business Model." Paper presented at the Pacific Rim Universities Conference, Tsinghua University, Bejing, China, 2011.
- "Is Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Genuine or Window Dressing?: Firm Commitment, Motivation, and Application." Poster presented at the USC Graduate Student Symposium, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2010.
- "Changes in Ownership and Legitimacy of CSR: An Examination of Past, Present, and Future Scholarship." Paper presented at the Next Generation Environmental, Social, and Governance Symposium and Workshop, Bentley University, Waltham, MA, 2009.
- "The Open Window: Officer Succession and Momentary Gains in Deal Activity." Proceedings and presentation at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, 2007.