Laurie Lichter-Heath, Ph.D.
Lecturer in Business Law
Monday and Wednesday
10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
and by appointment
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M.
The John Marshall Law School, J.D.
University of Tennessee, B.S.
Laurie Lichter-Heath has her LL.M. from Georgetown University Law Center, her J.D. from The John Marshall Law School, and is licensed to practice law in four jurisdictions. Laurie has been involved in both the academic and legal environments and is currently a Professor at the Eberhardt School of Business at the University of the Pacific. Through the years, Laurie has taught a variety of courses including: Legal & Ethical Environment of Business; International Commercial Law; Employment Law; Basic International, U.S. & China Law; Law and Taxation; Personal Law; Commercial Transactions; Business, Government & Society; and Real Estate Law. Additionally, she has taught in University of the Pacific's summer program in Beijing, China. She has been a seminar lecturer in employment law, business ethics, and how to start a business /business organizations. She has published articles on discrimination in the workplace, environmental matters, ethics, and presented at regional and national conferences. Laurie is a co-author/contributor to the book, Labor Management Relations in a Changing Environment.
Prior to her academic career and upon graduation from law school, Laurie clerked for the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. She subsequently was an attorney for the Securities and Exchange Commission -Enforcement Division both investigating and enforcing the law. Laurie has been legal counsel for large corporate entities, private law firms, and consulting firms. She has taught law and law related courses for over 20 years at various institutions of higher learning including New York University School of Continuing Education in Law and Taxation, the University of the Pacific and the University of San Diego. Prior to moving to San Diego, Laurie was a tenured Associate Professor in the Eberhardt School of Business. The University of the Pacific Eberhardt School of Business Graduating Class of 1991 awarded Laurie the Faculty Recognition Award for Outstanding Teaching. She continues to assist small businesses in resolving matters without litigation.
EBERHARDT SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
Pacific Seminar 2
International Commercial Law
Honors Creativity and Knowledge
Business Law I
Busines Law II
Business Government & Society
Real Estate Law
Basic International, U.S. & China Law
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO
Business Law I
Business Law II
PAPERS, PRESENTATIONS and SEMINARS
- Presenter at Yuncheng University in Yuncheng City, a city in the south of Shanxi province on Business and Engineering Education in the United States, June 2013.
- Presenter at the Beijing Institute of Fashion and Technology on U.S University Educational Experiences, June 2013.
- Best Paper Award: Honorable Mention for 2013: Writing Google Play Books as Supplementary Materials: How to Produce Them and How to Use Them in Class, co-authored with Beth Whittenbury; published in refereed proceedings & to be presented at WALSB Monterey, CA March 23, 2013.
- Moderator for the Council for University Social Entrepreneurs panel on Student Summer Experiences, September 19, 2013.
- Presenter: Taste of Business joint program by ESB and the Global Center for Social Entrepreneurship March 14, 2013; Presenter at 21st Century Business Basics Program sponsored by the Global Center April 9, 2011; Recognition for Service to the Global Center for Social Entrepreneurship Council of University Social Entrepreneurs May 2010.
- "Experiential Learning- Lessons from Panama" in proceedings and presented at the Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business (WALSB), March 26, 2011.
- Article: What does the case In Re: Katrina Canal Breaches Consolidated Litigation mean for Infrastructures Managers? Public Works Management & Policy, Vol. 15, No. 2, October 2010.
- "IS FEDERAL PRE-EMPTION ON THE WANE? (IMPLICATION OF WYETH V. LEVINE)" presented at the Annual National Meeting of the Academy of Legal Studies in Denver, Colorado August 2009.
- "Employment Issues Facing Small Employers" guest speaker at Laurnan B. Marketing, Inc. 2006.
- "Sexual harassment - Is the Individual Perpetrator Liable under Federal Law?" in proceedings and presented at the Twenty-Ninth Annual Meeting of the Western Decision Sciences Institute held in Maui, Hawaii, April 18-22, 2000; co-authors W. Anthony Kulisch and Elizabeth Koller-Whittenbury.
- New Directions in Teaching Law to Business Students - On a panel at the Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business held at Asilomar, California April 28 - 30, 2000.
- "Handling Sexual Harassment Issues in University Settings" presented on a panel at the Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual National Meeting, San Diego, Ca, and August 22, 1998.
- "Duty to investigate" (sexual harassment allegations) co-written and presented paper with W. Anthony Kulisch at the Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual National Meeting, San Diego, Ca, August 22, 1998.
- "A Study of Sexual Harassment of Employees on a Private University Campus," presented at the Western Business Law Association Annual meeting in Asilomar, CA April 5, 1992. Written with Professor Jerry B. Briscoe.
- "Sexual Harassment on a College Campus," presented at the Western Political Science Association Annual meeting in San Francisco, CA, March 19 - 21, 1992 with Jerry B. Briscoe.
- "Can A Corporation Have a Fetal Protection Policy?" paper presented at the American Business Law Association Annual Meeting, Portland Maine, August 16, 1991.
- Panelist on "Business Law Perspectives on Labor" presented at the 17th Annual Southwest Labor Studies Conference on Labor in the Era of World War II at University of the Pacific, Stockton, Ca., March 22/23, 1991.
- "Employee References: Employers Can Avoid Liability for Defamation," paper presented at the Western Business Law Association Annual Meeting, Asilomar, Ca., March 24, 1991.
- "Sharing the Tricks of the Educator's Trade: Teaching and Testing Strategies for the '90s," at the Western Business Law Association Annual Meeting, Asilomar, CA, March 25, 1991.
- "Protection of the Unborn Under Federal Law," presented at the Western Business Law Association annual meeting, Asilomar, Ca., April 21, 1990
- "Employee Relations in the Public Sector," presented at the American Business Law Association Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, August 15-22, 1989.
- "The Legal Framework of Public Sector Unions and Trends in the Field," presented at the Western Business Law Association meeting, Asilomar, CA, March 17-19, 1989.
- "You Are What You Eat," at the Western Business Law Association Meeting, Asilomar.4/10-12, 1987.
- "Nuke the Cuke," presented at the American Business Law Association Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, August 20 - 23, 1986.
- Ethics in Politics and Business," speech presented at the Sacramento Capitol Athletic Club to University of the Pacific Sacramento Alumni, May 17, 1988.
- "Government Business and Ethics: Are they Compatible?" speech presented at the University of the Pacific graduation luncheon in May 1988 and at Pacific Family Day in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of the U.S. Constitution, Oct. 10, 1987.
- "Personal Financial Planning" Seminar, sponsored by the University of the Pacific School of Business and Public Administration and Heath Financial Dynamics Corporation; January 27, 1987, March 19, 1987, September 29, 1987.
- "Starting a New Business," sponsored by the City of Stockton, Stockton Business Development Program. Presented legal issues: October 1985; January 18, 1986; May 10, 1986; November 8, 1986; September 19, 1987; October 24, 1987; Nov. 21, 1987.
- Case Review: What does the case In Re: Katrina Canal Breaches Consolidated Litigation mean for Infrastructures Managers? Public Works Management & Policy, Vol. 15, No. 2, October 2010.
- Book contributor: Michael Ballot, Labor-Management Relations in a Changing Environment (1996, 1992 & Supp.) John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- "Employers can minimize dangers," Stockton Record, January 6, 1992.
- "Free Speech Right Eroding," Stockton Record, July 8, 1991.
- "Employee References: Employers Can Avoid Liability for Defamation,"1991 Proceedings of the Western Business Law Association, Asilomar, CA, March 24, 1991, co-authored with W. Anthony Kulisch.
- "Be Careful Talking About Workers", Stockton Record, April 8, 1991.
- "Fetal Protection Policies: Balancing the Interests of the Employee, Employer, and the Unborn Under Title VII", Labor Law Journal, Vol.41, No.10, October 1990, co-authored with Thomas Brierton