B.A.L.S. Pedagogy Major (for International Students)
About the Degree
This program is designed for undergraduate international students.
The Pedagogy Major and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program is an undergraduate program for international students who wish to become teachers of English as a Second Language or English as a Foreign Language.
- General Education Courses: Completion of the University’s General Education program (30 units). The student must complete the Pacific Seminar I, Pacific Seminar II, and Pacific Seminar III (in 2007/2008, Curr 195A) courses and courses in the Liberal Learning Paths. Specific requirements are available upon request, or please refer to the University of the Pacific Catalog.
- English Language Proficiency: Development of English language proficiency through English language courses at the intermediate or advanced ESL levels, or by passage of proficiency examinations upon entrance.
- Professional Education Courses: Completion of prerequisite courses in teacher education, a tests and measurements course, and courses either in the Multiple Subject (elementary) or Single Subject (high school) teacher education program, and a required technology course. (Minimum of 24 units)
- Elective Course in Education: An elective course in education, such as a second technology course, a course in counseling, or a course in exceptional children.
- Concentration Area, with completion of 24 units in one of the following:
- Second Language Pedagogy (for teaching English as a second or foreign language. Includes course in language structure, language development, and second language acquisition.)
- Language and Cultural Pedagogy (emphasis on English literature, English language, composition and United States culture)
- Technical Pedagogy, for teaching sciences, mathematics, computer science, educational technology health and physical education
- Special Education Pedagogy, for teaching students with exceptional learning needs (similar to Special Education)
Interested students should apply for admission to the University's Office of Admissions.
Please contact the Administrative Assistant.
Curriculum and Instruction Department
Gladys L. Benerd School of Education
University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA 95211
Phone: (209) 946-2558
Fax: (209) 946-3110