• Print

Academic Standing

All master's and doctoral degree students are expected to make satisfactory progress toward the specific degree to which they were admitted and receive satisfactory grades to remain in the program.

Good Academic Standing

Students who conform to the following guidelines are considered in good academic standing:

  • For degree students, a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all courses listed on the approved program of study and in all courses taken as a graduate student
  • Students in a credential-only (non-degree) program must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 and have a cumulative average GPA of 2.5 or higher to clear their credential. Students in a basic teacher education credential-only program who wish to do directed teaching in an internship must maintain a 3.0 GPA.


Academic Probation

An advanced degree student who has completed six or more course units of study and has a cumulative GPA below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation for the next semester.

  • Students on academic probation who fail to raise their cumulative grade point average to 3.0 at the end of the probationary semester will be subject to academic disqualification from the Graduate School.
  • Students receiving more than one grade of C+ or lower will be reviewed by the department and the Graduate School and will be subject to academic disqualification from the Graduate.


Satisfactory Progress

Advanced degree students must make satisfactory progress in their degree program by making continual progress toward completing the required research, qualifying examinations, thesis or dissertation, and other University or Departmental requirements.  Failure to make satisfactory progress can result in dismissal from the Graduate School, making individuals ineligible to receive their degree.

Disqualification & Appeal

Students who have been dismissed from a graduate program for the aforementioned academic regulations can appeal in a written petition to the Committee on Graduate Studies.  Questions and appeals should be directed to the Committee through the Office of Research and Graduate Studies.