Completing the Doctoral Degree
See the Graduate School Calendar for deadlines each semester.
Summary of Steps
These are general steps for the completion of doctoral degrees. Specific programs vary; please consult with an advisor to clarify the specific procedures for each degree program. The steps for the completing the approval process for the dissertation is summarized below.
- Plan of Study filed in the Graduate School Office during the first semester(Should courses change before applying for graduation, a revised plan must be submitted).
- Advancement to Candidacy letter received from the Graduate School office.
- Application for Graduation is filed in the Graduate School office.
- Graduate Committee is formed and form filed in the Graduate School office.
- First Review of the Thesis.
- Copy thesis for review by committee.
- Final Exam.
- Thesis Grade Form submitted in the Graduate School office.
- Final corrections made on thesis. Submit for Final Review of thesis to obtain final approval by Graduate Studies Dean.
- Make final copies. The two copies required by the library must be on archival-quality paper.
- Deposit final copies with library, deposit any departmentally required copies to the department.