The Computer Science Department provides undergraduate education in computer science which features current and emerging technologies and experiential learning. The quality programs prepare students to contribute to the computing profession upon graduation, provide a basis for continued study, graduate study, and growth in their fields. The Computer Science Program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Computer Science Program (BS) Objectives
- Graduates will employ design skills and technical knowledge that contribute to building or utilizing computing systems.
- Graduates will have motivation and skills to apply computing technology in a variety of professional careers.
- Graduates will work effectively in team environments, utilize communication skills, and will grow and adapt to a world of evolving technology.
- Graduates will be good citizens contributing to society and behaving in an ethical manner.
Computer Science Program (BS) Outcomes
Upon graduation a student will:
- Be able to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the area of concentration.
- Be able to deal with a variety of problems and define the computer requirements appropriate to each solution.
- Be able to design and develop software systems of varying complexity and evaluate the systems in terms of specified requirements and understand the design tradeoffs.
- Be able to apply elements of computer science theory appropriate to their area of concentration.
- Be able to use current techniques and tools in their area of concentration.
- Have functioned effectively in team projects.
- Have illustrated good communication skills in a variety of media.
- Have demonstrated the ability for self-learning.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of professional, ethical and social responsibilities and an ability to analyze the impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society.
Computer Science Program Major Count
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science major count in 2012-2013: 136
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degrees awarded in 2012-2013: 20