Decade of the '50s - A school of pharmacy at University of the Pacific was first proposed in 1951, and in 1952 at the request of president Robert Burns, a small group of community pharmacists gathered to discuss the project. In July 1954, The California Pharmacists Association passed a motion to give encouragement and support to Pacific in order to develop a school of pharmacy. Martin Winton of Fresno, who offered the motion, made the first $1,000 contribution to support the plan. George J. Filpi, William E. McCown, Edward J. Burke and Louis E. Shoneff, partners in Valley Wholesale Drug Co. of Stockton, offered their support and were among the first pharmacists who contributed substantial sums to assist the project in its inception.
In March 1955, The School's first interim dean, Pacific's Board of Regents appointed Dr. Lloyd Bertholf, as the School's first interim dean. By August 1955, Dr. Ivan W. Rowland, former dean of the College of Pharmacy at Idaho State University, became the first dean. The School became California's third school of pharmacy. Dr. Rowland brought the first Pacific Pharmacy professor, Emmons E. Roscoe, with him from Idaho State and together, with Mrs. Bullard as staff, started the first class in Weber Hall on February 1, 1956. They were joined by Carl Riedesel and Ina Pearson (also from Idaho State) in 1957. Cisco Kihara and Donald Barker came from Manitoba and joined the faculty in 1958. This group formed the "Founding Faculty."
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) awarded full accreditation to Pacific's School of Pharmacy in 1959 and the first graduation ceremony for 16 seniors (15 men and one woman) was held in June 1959. By the next year, the School had reached an enrollment of 250 students. The first grant for research support came from the U.S. Department of the Navy. The first graduate student, Cisco Kihara, completed work for a master's degree in physiology-pharmacology in 1961; and became a beloved member of the faculty.
Decade of the '60s - In the early '60s, it was determined that the School of Pharmacy needed a new facility. A conversation between Dean Rowland and Henry Herold, a member of the Pfeiffer Research Foundation, resulted in a $150,000 challenge grant to build a new building. In August 1964, the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare granted $1,624,683 to assist the $3 million building project. Building began in 1966 and the new $4.1 million facility and was completed on schedule in September 1969.
Decade of the '70s - The seventies represented several major innovations for the School of Pharmacy beginning with the first six-year doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) program degrees being granted to members of the class of 1970. The first accelerated, three-year trimester program in the nation was initiated with the fall 1970 class. A new building on the north campus it was officially dedicated by the Board of Regents on April 23, 1971.
Other milestones that dominated the '70s included: the establishment of the Office of Pharmacy Student Affairs, with Ralph L. Saroyan serving as the inaugural director; and the initiation by Saroyan of California's very first school-sponsored early experiential learning "externship" program to be known as the Preceptor Intern Program. This was followed by the establishment of Pacific's Clinical Clerkship program for PharmD candidates, developed by Dr. James C. King, which resulted in a new competency-based curriculum including didactic and experiential components, a first in the School's history. These two new, innovative decentralized programs - using sites throughout California and Hawaii - not only improved the learning experience for Pacific students but also were instrumental in the Board of Pharmacy's decision to reduce the required number of intern hours from 1,900 to 1,500 in the mid-70s. In 1973, Pacific graduated the largest class in the School's history with the convergence of the last four-year class with the first class of the accelerated three-year program.
Decade of the '80s - The development and expansion of the clinical program dominated much of the '80s with a significant increase in clinical faculty through new hires and the implementation of the requirement that every third-year student complete six six-week clinical rotations. Founding Dean Ivan Rowland retired in 1980 and Louis C. Martinelli, PhD, dean of Creighton University School of Pharmacy in Omaha, Neb., was appointed dean. He served until February 1983.
Warren J. Schneider, PhD, DVM, was appointed acting dean in March 1983, and was named dean in August, serving until his death in February 1984. Robert B. Supernaw, PharmD, was named acting dean the following day, having served as associate dean for academic affairs since 1983. Donald L. Sorby, PhD, who had been dean of the University of Missouri School of Pharmacy for 10 years, was chosen in November 1984 to lead the School. Dr. Sorby provided the School the continuity needed to build, sustain and nourish partnerships, alumni relations and solidify critical components of the curriculum.
Decade of the '90s and the new century - Dr. Sorby retired in 1995 after 11 years as dean. That fall, Pacific President Donald V. DeRosa appointed Dr. Supernaw as interim dean for another term, until the appointment of Phillip R. Oppenheimer, PharmD, in September 1997. Dr. Oppenheimer came to Pacific from University of Southern California where he had been associate dean and, for 24 years, a member of the faculty. In 1998, Pacific's Regents renamed the School as the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, reflecting the addition of physical therapy and speech-language pathology as degrees offered in the School. In 2000, Alina Chen became the first student to complete the doctor of pharmacy-doctor of philosophy dual-degree program, which was established as part of the pharmaceutical and chemical science program in 2000.
The School again saw its name change in January 2001, when President DeRosa announced that the Regents, in accepting a $13 million grant from the Thomas J. Long Foundation had renamed the school the Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. This naming honored and recognized a financial commitment of more than $20 million donated by the Thomas J. Long Foundation and the Thomas J. Long family since 1985. Groundbreaking for the new learning center was held on February 12, 2002. The new buildings opened in 2003 and house clinic facilities for physical therapy, speech-language pathology, pharmacy and dental hygiene; much needed classroom space and a 225-seat, state-of-the-art lecture hall.
Under the tenure of Dean Oppenheimer, the faculty, staff and students have accomplished much in the way of raising Pacific pharmacy and health sciences to the "Next Level of Excellence" and the establishment of a student-centered educational experience at Pacific. The 1997-98 accreditation review resulted in an increase of seven new faculty positions and a new coordinated pharmacy curriculum. Other curriculum advances included a doctor of pharmacy/master of business administration (PharmD/MBA) dual degree program; a student laptop program; new admission guidelines for the pharmaceutical and chemical science graduate program as well as the development of four internship sites for graduate students. After a full review in March 2010, the School received its third consecutive, full six-year reaccreditation. The School refurbished faculty offices and research labs, allocated more than $1 million for new research equipment, renovated the science library into a high-tech, modern information commons and created seven smart classrooms in existing facilities. Other improvements include new clinics, a classroom building, an upgraded and improved lecture hall in the rotunda, and the creation of a pharmaceutical care lab dedicated to Dr. Donald Barker. The School is proud of expanded recruiting efforts, updated school governance, increased scholarship endowments, as well as consistent higher board passage rates, eight new regions for clinical experience for pharmacy students, a new introductory pharmacy practice experience program, and faculty research grants that total more than $2 million from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and National Science Foundation (NSF). In addition, more than 95% of faculty has published scholarly work.
In fall 2009, the School implemented the new doctor of pharmacy curriculum, which sought to expand student opportunities through an enhancement of the existing curriculum. Additionally, it incorporated an expanded introductory pharmacy practice experience through diversified fields of experience emphasizing pharmacy-directed care and public health. The new curriculum also included an increased emphasis on early practice experience and problem solving while maintaining solid development in the basic and applied pharmaceutical sciences.
The School has added three additional programs. A master of science in industrial pharmaceutics in collaboration with Alliance Institute, Hyderabad, India, was instituted in 2010 followed by the bachelor of applied science degree in 2013. In addition, the School launched the new combined master of science in pharmaceutical sciences and fellowship in pharmacy practice in fall 2013.
In addition to the changes in the pharmacy program, the School has renewed and invigorated alumni programs in both physical therapy and speech-language pathology, expanded faculty, increased salaries, instituted curriculum changes, implemented a doctor of physical therapy degree, achieved renewed full accreditation and self-studies for both programs and increased clinic activity, grants and contracts.
Students continue to be leaders in the field and in the community. Each year the School's students host nearly 100 community health fairs impacting thousands of individuals and volunteering more than 4,000 hours to the Stockton community.
In spring 1985, Pacific established a program of study leading to the master of science degree in physical therapy. Responsibility for the program was assigned jointly to pharmacy and the graduate school. A physical therapy department was established within the School of Pharmacy and Jean I. Baldwin, PhD, was appointed its founding chair in June 1985. She served until her retirement in 1990. Additional faculty was recruited in 1986 and 1987. The first complement of 30 students enrolled in the program in fall of 1986 and graduated in August 1988. The department received candidate status for accreditation from the American Physical Therapy Association that same year. Full accreditation was awarded in March 1988. Full reaccreditation for eight years was granted in 1994 and for 10 years in 2002. Graduates from Pacific's program are invited to sit for the licensure examination.
In spring 1995, the University established a post-professional master of science for practicing physical therapists. The first graduates under this program completed degree work in August 1997. Carolyn Hultgren, MPH, PT, who had served as interim chair since Dr. Baldwin's retirement in 1990, was appointed to succeed him in January 1992. At that time, Darcy Umphred, PhD, PT was appointed vice chair. Hultgren retired in December of 2001 and Dr. Umphred was appointed department chair in August 2001. Cathy Peterson, PT, EdD, was appointed interim department chair in December 2003 and department chair in July 2004. After serving as department chair for seven years, Dr. Peterson stepped down to focus on her research and teaching. In August 2011 Christine R. Wilson, PT, PhD, was appointed as the new department chair. She served in this capacity until her retirement in August 2014. Sandra Reina-Guerra '97, '99, '03, PT, DPT, PCS, is the current department chair.
In 2002, Pacific's Board of Regents granted the department and School the right to transition the master of science degree to a doctor of physical therapy degree (DPT). The first DPT class graduated in fall 2003. The department also offered transitional DPT degree programs to priority graduates and master clinicians within the physical therapy profession during the summers of 2003 and 2004.
Since the beginning of the physical therapy program, graduates have attained levels of distinction. Many graduates have gone on to be recognized by the American Physical Therapy Association as advanced clinical specialists, while others have attained leadership levels with local, state and national organizations.
The program received a full 10-year reaccreditation from the American Physical Therapy Association in fall 2010.
The program in communicative disorders at the University of the Pacific began during the 1930s. It was located in the department of speech in the College of the Pacific. In 1936, Roy C. McCall, PhD, and Velma Hooper McCall joined the faculty after completing graduate degrees at the University of Iowa. In 1937, the first course in speech-language pathology, Corrective Speech Methods, was taught. In 1939, a new major in speech correction was added within the department of dramatic art, public speaking and speech.
From the beginning, speech-language pathology was designed to be a graduate program. William Owen Pugh completed the first thesis for a master of arts degree in speech correction in June 1947. His thesis was titled, "A Syllabus of Techniques for Correction of Speech Defects."
The University Speech and Hearing Center began in 1946 with Dr. Roy McCall serving as its first director. A major change in the program occurred in 1948 when Howard L. Runion, PhD, became the chair. Under his direction, the speech correction credential for public schools was established in 1949. Dr. Runion served as chair for 20 years and led the expansion of program course offerings and the Speech and Hearing Center.
In 1970, speech corrections was changed to speech-language pathology and was reassigned to the division of communication Sciences in the department of communication and renamed the department of communication arts and sciences. The speech-language pathology program achieved departmental status in 1972 under the direction of Kenneth Perrin, PhD, who helped establish the department of communicative disorders. This began a major period of growth, with a master's degree program receiving accreditation by the American Speech- Language Hearing Association (ASHA) in 1973.
This program has maintained its ASHA accreditation continuously since 1973. Dr. Perrin remained chair until 1977 when he left the University for an administrative position with ASHA. In August 1978, the Center moved to the south campus, made possible by a major donation from the Irvine Foundation. It included 15 clinic rooms for supervised clinical experience, making it the largest university speech and hearing center in California. The next chair, Roy J. Timmons, PhD, led the department until 1987.
Virginia Puich served as chair from 1987 until 1993, retiring in 1997. Professor Puich's former students honored her with the Virginia Puich Endowed Scholarship Fund, which was first awarded in May 1999. Robert E. Hanyak, AuD, served as chair from 1993 to 1999. The Speech and Hearing Center was remodeled in 1995 adding 1,000 square feet of additional office and clinic space. A departmental computer lab was established in 1997, funded through the generosity of alumni.
Pacific's Speech, Hearing and Language Center was transformed in 1997 through a partnership with the local Stockton Scottish Rite. As a result, the Scottish Rite Childhood Language Disorders Center was created to provide free speech and language services to children. In August of that year, the department of communicative disorders was administratively assigned to the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences; and in August 1999, the department took its professional name, Speech-Language Pathology. In October 2000, the department and center moved to its location on the North Campus, and in June 2003, they moved into the new Chan Family Health Sciences Learning Center and Clinics Building.
Simalee Smith-Stubblefield chaired the department from 2000 to 2005. Through her leadership, Pacific's Speech-Language Pathology Alumni Association was formed. The department has also established an advantage program for Pacific undergraduate students. Professor Smith-Stubblefield stepped down as chair in September 2005 to become the clinic director and director of summer sessions. Through the generosity of the Hedco Foundation, the Audiology Clinic was established in 2004. Dr. Hanyak is the current department chair.
In 2011, the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) voted to reaccredit the graduate education program in speech-language pathology for another full eight years.
The University announced the approval of a new Doctorate of Audiology (AuD) program by its Board of Regents at Pacific's downtown San Francisco campus in 2014. The program will be the first in Northern California; one of four accelerated programs in the country, and the only one in California. The Audiology Clinic in San Francisco began assessing and treating patients in early 2015 and will provide audiology and hearing aid services through patient visits and community outreach events. Students also will participate in clinical experiences through collaborations with medical and audiology centers in Northern California. The Audiology Clinic in Stockton will continue to serve as a clinical site for students.
The first class of Pacific's doctor of audiology students will begin in the Fall of 2015. The Doctor of Audiology program at the University of the Pacific has been awarded candidacy status by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and "developing status" by the Accreditation Commission for Audiology Education (ACAE). Visit www.pacific.edu/aud for further details of the accreditation process.