Each department evaluates applicants on their record of academic performance, Graduate Record Examination scores, personal statement, and the availability of faculty as advisors to determine the qualification and potential of the students.
- The GRE General Exam is required. Subject test is optional. Minimum requirements: Verbal and Quantitative = 1100; Analytical = 3.0. GRE scores no more than 5 years old. We accept scores on the new scale (taken on or after Aug. 1, 2011) equivalent to the minimum required scores of the old scale. Visit http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores for more information.
- Bachelor's degree with a B average (GPA of 3.0) or higher in all upper-division coursework.
- Essay or personal statement focusing on career objectives and personal ideals. Applicants must indicate focus area preference. Grammar and writing skills are an important part of the evaluation.
- Three letters of recommendation (no more than one year old).
- International students who attended schools outside of the United States must submit an evaluation of their academic records. Transcripts must be reviewed by one of the following outside evaluation agencies: WES (World Education Services), www.wes.org or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators), www.ece.org. Please request a course-by-course evaluation that includes a grade point average (GPA) and have an official copy sent directly to the Graduate School. Student transcripts need to be translated into English before an evaluation can be processed. Please check with the evaluation agency for details on specific document requirements.
- English competency exams required for international applicants whose native language is not English. We recommend either TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Scores can be no more than two years old.
Minimum scores for admission:
Minimum for graduate assistantship:
- International students must complete the Certification of Finances form (supporting bank documentation no more than six months old). Financial Certification may be submitted at the time of application or upon notification of admission by PCSP.