History of Commitment
Since 2007, University of the Pacific student pharmacists have been able to accomplish the following:
- Total number of Medicare beneficiaries that have been assisted: 2838
- Number (%) of assisted low-income beneficiaries (LIS or Medicaid): 742 (26.1%)
- Number (%) of beneficiaries assisted in a language other than English: 600 (21.4%)
- Number of outreach events that were held: 62
- Number of different cities in which outreach events were held: 15
- Number of students who were trained and performed community outreach: 181
- Total number of volunteer outreach hours completed by trained students: 6047.5 (average of 33.4 hours/student)
- Estimated beneficiary out-of-pocket savings as a result of student interventions: $1,579,429
Since 2011, we expanded the services provided to Medicare beneficiaries at outreach events to include comprehensive medication therapy management and administration of vaccines. Last year, students assisted 621 Medicare beneficiaries in 12 outreach events. Collectively, students:
- Assisted 180 (28%) beneficiaries in a language other than English.
- Common languages accommodated: Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Tagalog, and Hindi.
- Assisted 186 (30%) low-income subsidy beneficiaries.
- Enrolled 270 beneficiaries into a new Medicare Part D plan onsite during outreach interventions.
- Identified 62 (9%) beneficiaries with severe medication-related issues during MTM services.
- Contacted prescriber on behalf of the 62 beneficiaries in regards to their severe medication-related issues. Physician follow-up revealed that our recommendation was accepted or the problem was resolved in 46 (74.2%) of such instances.
- 563 vaccinations (flu, pneumococcal, Tdap) were given by students.