Guatemala Study Abroad Spanish Program: Summer 2014
Thursday, 11/14/13 and 1/23/14, at 12pm in the Bechtel International Center
Dates & Program Overview
May 18 – June 14, 2014
Spend 4 weeks during the Summer of 2014 in beautiful Antigua, Guatemala, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and earn 4 semester extension units equivalent to one semester of college Spanish. The program features 6 hours per day of one-on-one instruction with a native speaker, and home stays with local families. The 4-unit course runs 4 weeks and the program is fully accredited through Pacific and has an on-site Pacific director. We will hike an active volcano, cross beautiful lake Atitlan, visit an indigenous Mayan village and textile center, a coffee plantation, a macadamia nut farm project, and an artisanal chocolate center. Optional weekend trip to the majestic Mayan ruins of Tikal can be arranged. Assistance finding volunteer For those interested in volunteer work in a field of interest after the program.
Student video at:
- Hike an active volcano, cross beautiful lake Atitlan.
- Visit an indigenous Mayan village and textile center.
- Visit a coffee plantation, a macadamia nut farm project, and an artisanal chocolate center.
- Optional trip to the jungle to see the majestic Mayan ruins of Tikal.
- Other activities include soccer matches, salsa and cooking lessons.
- Volunteer work in a field of interest available for those who wish to stay after the program.
The program is open to all MAIR students, staff, alumni, students from other colleges and universities and the community.
You may obtain credit for the following options:
• Spanish 11A or 11B (1st or 2nd semester Spanish)
• Spanish 23 or 25 (1st or 2nd semester of second year)
• Conversation (Spanish 27- after 1st or 2nd year)
• Composition (Spanish 101)
• Advanced Conversation (Spanish 193)
Cost of this program is $2,100. Fee includes classes, room and board, activities and excursions. Scholarships Available
Round-trip airfare to Guatemala City, airport shuttle, and textbook not included.
The application deadline is March 3, 2014. Space is limited, so apply early!
$500 non-refundable deposit due at time of application. Final payment due March 31, 2014.
Please return the Application and Faculty Recommendation form to Modern Language and Literature Office in the Hub of WPC Annex. Or mail to: Prof. Katie Golsan, Modern Language and Literature, University of Pacific, 3601 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95211.