Applying for Curricular Practical Training
To participate in CPT, you must:
- Submit to the University's Designated School Official a CPT Application and a letter with your advisor describing the nature of the work experience and how and why it is an integral part of your major. Include with the letter:
- The name and address of the employer
- Employment start and end date
- Whether the employment is full-time or part-time
- Name of your supervising faculty advisor
- Course number and number of units.
- Complete portion A of Form I-538.
- Not start the employment until:
- You receive a new I-20 signed by the University's Designated School Official (DSO)
- The employment start date.
The Designated School Official (DSO) will:
- Verify your F-1 status.
- Validate that you have met the one full year requirement.
- Verify that the employment qualifies as CPT.
- Authorize the employment as CPT and record authorization in SEVIS.
- Issue a new I-20 with notation on page 3.
When you receive the new I-20, you must:
- Sign the new I-20.
|If you participate in full-time Curricular Practical Training for 12 months or more, you will not be eligible for post-graduation Optional Practical Training. This 12 month restriction does not apply if you participate only in part-time Curricular Practical Training or if you participate for less than 12 months.|