• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211



Q. How do I apply for a summer program?

A. Summer programs are NOT administered through International Programs and Services. For faculty-led trips, you should contact the faculty member responsible for the trip. For all other summer programs, you will need to apply directly to the program. You will be responsible for all program fees, you will need to complete a TCAR form from the Registrar's office prior to your departure, and you will need to contact the Office of Admissions in order to have your summer abroad grades transferred to your Pacific transcript upon your return.

Q. How do I petition a program?

A.  Instructions for petitioning a non-approved program are available here.

Q. Do I have to attend an information session?

A. No, attending an information session is not a requirement. However, information sessions cover the basics of education abroad at Pacific and allow plenty of time for your questions to be addressed. 

Q. What does 1 semester in residency at Pacific mean for the eligibility requirements?

A. "In residency" means you are taking classes on campus. You must have taken classes on campus at Pacific for at least one semester prior to studying abroad. "In residency" does not mean you are required to have lived on campus.

Q. Do I only need a 2.5 GPA for any program I want?

A. No. Although Pacific's GPA requirement for education abroad is a minimum of 2.5 (Pacific cumulative GPA), several programs require a higher GPA. For these programs, you must meet the program's higher GPA requirement in order to be eligible to apply to that program.

Q. How do I register for the Cross Cultural Training course (INTL 151)?

A. You can register for this course just as you would for most courses. 

Q. Do I have to take Cross Cultural Training the semester before I go abroad, or can I take it earlier?

A. You must take the CCTI course prior to studying abroad, but you can take it as far in advance as you would like.

Q. Can I get an internship while I am abroad?

A. Many programs do offer internships abroad, usually to be done with classes concurrently. Programs do not always explicitly list specific internship opportunities on their websites or in their catalogs, so we recommend you contact the program you are interested in to inquire for further details regarding internship opportunities.

Q. Can I take courses abroad as Pass/No Credit?

A. No, courses abroad must be taken for a grade. The only exceptions to this are: 1. The only grading option offered for the course is Pass/No Credit (proof of this is required), and 2. A documented learning disability that negatively affects coursework abroad.

Q. How do I register for the SABD Overseas Study course?

A. Registration in the SABD Overseas Study course for each semester abroad requires an override provided by the Director of IPS. This override is only provided once IPS has been able to verify that you have completed your Enrollment Forms, the last set of forms in your online account; they appear after your application forms have been Approved by University of the Pacific.

Q. I'm back from my semester abroad. How and when can I see my abroad grades?

A. Your program will send your transcripts to IPS. Once received, we will process them and the Registrar's Office will articulate the course, credit and grade information to your Pacific transcript (please contact the Registrar for processing times and let IPS know if you would like to request expediting). If you have not completed your program evaluation, a hold will be placed on your account until it has been completed.

Q. Why are the late fees so expensive?

A. Substantial late fees are in place to deter students from submitting applications after the appropriate IPS/Pacific deadlines. In fact, IPS does NOT accept late applications past the 5 business days for which late fees are incurred and it retains the right to not accept any late applications.