• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Applying for Curricular Practical Training

To participate in CPT, you must:

  1. Submit to the University's Designated School Official a CPT Application and a letter with your advisor describing the nature of the work experience and how and why it is an integral part of your major. Include with the letter:
    1. The name and address of the employer
    2. Employment start and end date
    3. Whether the employment is full-time or part-time
    4. Name of your supervising faculty advisor
    5. Course number and number of units.
  2. Complete Part 1 of Form I-539.
  3. Not start the employment until:
    1. You receive a new I-20 signed by the University's Designated School Official (DSO)
    2. The employment start date.

The Designated School Official (DSO) will:

  1. Verify your F-1 status.
  2. Validate that you have met the one full year requirement.
  3. Verify that the employment qualifies as CPT.
  4. Authorize the employment as CPT and record authorization in SEVIS.
  5. Issue a new I-20 with notation on page 3.

When you receive the new I-20, you must:

  • Sign the new I-20.
If you participate in full-time Curricular Practical Training for 12 months or more, you will not be eligible for post-graduation Optional Practical Training. This 12 month restriction does not apply if you participate only in part-time Curricular Practical Training or if you participate for less than 12 months.