• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Social Security Requirements

Social Security numbers are assigned only to people who are authorized to work in the United States. They are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. The Social Security Administration will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

Social Security Numbers are only available to F-1 students who have an offer of employment on campus or specific work authorization granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. To obtain a SS Number:

  1. Have your employing department complete the Social Security Employment Verification Letter.
  2. Obtain an official signature on the letter from IPS.
  3. Apply for your Social Security Number in person at the Social Security Administration Office at 3558 Deer Park Drive, Stockton, CA 95219. SSA's hours of operation are from 9:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can contact SSA at telephone number 209.946.6341 or the national toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Take your passport, I-20, I-94, and the letter from IPS. Be sure to ask for a receipt – it may be helpful for banking purposes until you received your Social Security Card.
  4. Provide IPS a copy as soon as you receive your Social Security Card.
  5. Report to Human Resources with your original SSN Card for documentation purposes.
For more information, see Social Security Administration.