• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Consultations or Lectures

Incidental Employment for J-1 Scholars

Professors and research scholars may only participate in occasional short-term consultations and lectures for pay or remuneration with the prior written approval of your J-1 Responsible Officer.

Criteria for Authorizing Short-term Consultations or Lectures

To ensure that these activities do not interfere with, and are in keeping with the activities of the Exchange Visitor’s Program, they must:

  • Directly related to the objectives of your Exchange Visitor’s Program;
  • Be incidental to the exchange visitor’s primary program activities; and
  • Not delay the completion date of your Exchange Visitor Program;
  • Obtain an Offer Letter from the prospective employer describing the terms and conditions of the proposed employment, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and a description of the activity for which you are being hired;
  • Receive a letter from your department head or supervisor that recommends the activity and explains how it is directly related to your principal activity and how it will enhance your Exchange Visitor Program.

Authorization to Work

Your J-1 Responsible Officer will issue a Work Authorization Letter to engage in the incidental employment activity. You should provide a copy of this letter to your employer and keep the original for your record.

Note: As a J-1 scholar your options for incidental employment are limited. Please note that employment without authorization will jeopardize your Exchange Visitor Program status. Consult your J-1 Responsible Officer, whose written approval is necessary before you engage in any incidental employment activity.