• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Leaving the United States

Required Documents for J-1 Visa Extension Before Leaving the U.S.

Properly endorsed Form DS-2019. Complete and submit, at least 48 hours before your intended departure time

  • DS-2019 to Contact International Programs and Services.
  • Official copy of your transcript from the Registrar’s Office verifying that you have been studying full-time at Pacific.
  • A letter from the Director of International Programs and Services certifying that you are a fulltime J-1 student in good standing.
  • Financial certification from your parents or sponsor.
  • Valid passport.
  • Form DS-156, "Nonimmigrant Visa Application."
  • Form DS-157 if applicable.
  • Form DS-158.
  • Proper photograph(s)
  • Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee
  • Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee.
  • Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable).
Apply as early as possible. Visa processing times vary widely by consulate. Contact your specific Consular Office having jurisdiction over your place or residence in your home country to inquire about specific rules and regulations.

If you would like to visit a country other than your homeland, check with the embassy of the country you would like to visit to inquire about what documents are necessary for entry.

Reentering the United States

  • A valid passport (unless exempt from passport requirement).
  • A valid J-1 visa stamped in the passport (unless exempt from the visa requirement).
  • Properly endorse Form DS-2019.
  • Form 1-94, Departure Record. I-94 shows that you have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. It is a small white card, usually stapled to the U.S. visa page of your passport. It contains an eleven digit identifying number (called your admission number), which the Department of Homeland Security uses to keep track of your arrival to and departure from the U.S. Form I-94 is usually collected when you leave the U.S., unless you travel to Canada, Mexico or the islands of the Caribbean. A new I-94 card will be issued when you re-enter the U.S.

Extension of DS-2019

Check your DS-2019 expiration date in Item #3. If you need an extension, bring the following documents to IPS one month before the expiration date:

  1. A letter from your academic advisor explaining the reason for and length of the extension.
  2. An updated original financial certification to cover the tuition and living expenses for the extended period.
  3. Health Insurance Requirement in accordance with guidelines determined by the Department of State. Refer to the J Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Requirement for specific information.