• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Obtaining a J-1 Visa Extension

Research Scholars and Professors can apply for an extension to their J-1 visa.

J-1 regulations generally allow for a maximum stay for Research Scholars and Professors. Extensions are granted only to allow you to complete your original objectives, not to begin a new project. To request an extension bring the following to IPS:

  • Letter signed by the supervising faculty member, or other authorized department personnel, stating:
    • Your position title;
    • Proposed date of the extension;
    • Amount and source of funding and;
    • Proof of Insurance Coverage for yourself and J-2 dependent(s).

An extension beyond the three year period for researchers and professors is possible if the extension is for the same sponsor's program and if it is to provide time to complete your teaching and/or research responsibilities prior to departing the U.S. Under these circumstances, IPS can approve an extension of program an additional six months. A request for more than six months beyond the three years must be made to the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program. Submission of an application does not guarantee that it will be approved. Your request for an extension must be completed before the end date as noted on your DS-2019 form.

View the  J-1 Visa Extension PDF for more details.