• Print


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Documents Required to Apply for an Extension

To apply for an extension beyond the maximum duration of participation in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program,

  1. Personal check, cashier’s check, or money order in the amount of U.S. $198, payable to the "U.S. Department of State;"
  2. A letter documenting reasons requesting an extension;
  3. Copy of ID page of passport;
  4. Copy of U.S. visa page with photo;
  5. Copy of Form I-94 and;
  6. Copy of current and previous DS-2019.

Please note that if an extension is approved a new DS-2019 will be issued to reflect the new period of stay. This document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the US. If you have a spouse or child in J-2 status, their visit also will be extended.

Should you travel outside the US during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico); you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa in the passport at a US Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.

For assistance with the extension, bring these items to the IPS.