Documents Required to Apply for an Extension
To apply for an extension beyond the maximum duration of participation in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program,
- Personal check, cashier’s check, or money order in the amount of U.S. $198, payable to the "U.S. Department of State;"
- A letter documenting reasons requesting an extension;
- Copy of ID page of passport;
- Copy of U.S. visa page with photo;
- Copy of Form I-94 and;
- Copy of current and previous DS-2019.
Please note that if an extension is approved a new DS-2019 will be issued to reflect the new period of stay. This document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the US. If you have a spouse or child in J-2 status, their visit also will be extended.
Should you travel outside the US during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico); you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa in the passport at a US Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.
For assistance with the extension, bring these items to the IPS.