International Programs and Services
Mission and Values
The mission of International Programs and Services is to strengthen the global and international dimensions of teaching, learning, research and service at University of the Pacific.
We believe that:
- The promotion of global awareness, knowledge and proficiency should be an intrinsic part of University of the Pacific.
- Global and international awareness, knowledge and proficiency are essential for Pacific students to participate effectively in the 21st century.
- International education is an orientation and approach across the curriculum as well as a separate subject.
- International education at Pacific should be an integrated and collaborative effort on the part of all levels of the education establishment.
Education abroad at Pacific is dedicated to providing Pacific students with the highest quality international academic programs and opportunities that allow them to gain the knowledge and develop the skills necessary to become successful and productive members of the global community. In partnership with Pacific campuses, schools, departments, faculty and staff we seek to increase awareness of education abroad opportunities, to promote intercultural learning, and to advocate for diversity in participants and programs.
International Student and Scholar Services
The mission of the service component of IPS is to support and enhance the international students', scholars' and families' academic, cultural, and social integration at Pacific.
- Advising on and facilitating compliance with United States immigration regulations.
- Conducting orientations and other special programming that help international students and scholars integrate into and adjust to the academic, cultural and social life of Pacific and the United States.
- Serving as a liaison with United States government agencies, foreign embassies, sponsors and educational foundations that support international students and scholars.
- Contributing to the internationalization of Pacific by providing opportunities for growth through cross-cultural interactions.
IPS works with international students and scholars from throughout the world to make their stays at Pacific and the United States positive, enriching and fulfilling through essential information.
Intensive English Program
Part of the International Programs and Services' mission is to aid international students in their transition to academic life in the United States. Students who need to strengthen their English proficiency are strongly encouraged to take one or more of the ESL courses offered each semester. For a list of course offerings, please visit the Registrar's Schedule of Classes, enter the academic term, and search by subject (ESL-English as a Second Lang).
In addition to student services, the Intensive English Program (IEP) is committed to faculty outreach so that both international students thrive and domestic students benefit from a truly intercultural learning environment throughout their time at Pacific. The IEP provides workshops for faculty and staff as well as welcomes individual consultations.
The International Programs and Services Advisory Committee ensures the quality of international education at the University, including Pacific students studying abroad and international students studying here.
The Committee reviews and makes recommendations to the Director of International Programs and Services about all practices and policies affecting international education including academic approval of all study abroad programs. The Committee reports to the Academic Council annually.