• Print
return to Student Academic Support Services


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

For general information about the referral center, please see the flyer located at this link.

1.     What services can students access through the Referral Center?

Any university service, but the most frequently used are for financial aid assistance, career guidance, tutoring, and/or personal counseling.  

2.     Can I refer students directly to campus services rather than through the Referral Center?

Definitely, please do!  The Referral Center typically serves as a focal point for students in the process of identifying campus resources and ensuring access, especially if multiple resources are needed.  If you identify a student in need of a specific service and are comfortable, please refer the student directly to the service.  For example, faculty often directly refer students to register with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) to formally request accommodations for courses.   

3.     Should I tell my student that I am referring him/her to the Referral Center?

It's up to you. Some people do; others don't, depending on the situation. When we contact the student we explain that he or she was referred for a particular course. However, we can individualize the referral according to the situation, and research has shown that students are more likely to respond better to referral-based support services when the faculty or staff that referred them communicates that they are doing so with the student.   

4.     When is it too late to refer a student?

It is never too late to refer a student.  We receive referrals throughout the semester and summer, particularly after key exams or papers are graded.   

5.     Will I receive updates about the referral?

After sending a referral, you will receive confirmation of receipt of the referral from our staff.  You will also receive confirmation after an initial contact is made with the student referred.  Please, note, many students receive ongoing support from our staff for which you will not receive updates.  You are welcome to provide follow up information or feedback to our staff about a student should needs persist or improve.  All feedback is greatly appreciated to maximize our support provided to students.

To refer a student in need, simply email referralcenter@pacific.edu. If you have questions, call 209-946-2177.

Urgent Concerns/After Hours

Urgent Referral: If you feel the student is in need of urgent support, please consider the following 

immediate action items before submitting a referral center form:

Medical Emergency: For a medical emergency, dial Public Safety's emergency number: 209-946-

Imminent Self-Harm and/or Threat to Others: If you are concerned about a student engaged in 
imminent self-harm or threat to others, please notify Public Safety immediately at the emergency 
number: 209-946-3911. It is recommended you save it as "A_Public Safety Emergency" in your cell 
phone so that it is at the top of the phone contacts list.  

For a description of emergency therapy services available to students, visit the Counseling and 
Psychological Services (CAPS) website.

Disruptive Behavior: If a student becomes confrontational or disruptive, do not become 
argumentative but notify Public Safety immediately. Public Safety will respond and document this 
behavior and it will be forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct for further action.  You may 
also choose to arrange a one-on-one meeting to discuss these outbursts with the student and how 
they will not be tolerated along with possible consequences for further outbursts. Public Safety is 
available to have someone present if you are concerned your safety or can use additional support.

Please keep Public Safety's number in your cell phone and carry it openly so you can call 
immediately if there is an issue.  The emergency number is: 209-946-3911 and it is recommended 
you save it as "A_Public Safety Emergency" in your cell phone so that it is at the top of the phone 
contacts list.  You can also call Public Safety using a blue light phone.

Victim Advocate: provides free and confidential information, advocacy and support to students and 
employees who may be victims of crime, violence or abuse. A confidential sexual assault report 
form can be accessed on the Victim's Advocacy Program website and the Victim Advocate is on-call 24/7 at 209-403-0250.