University of the Pacific Annual Drag Show
"Keep Calm and Drag On"
Thank you for your interest in the 2014 Pacific Drag Show. This event has been a popular Pacific tradition for several years and each year we have improved the show with some amazing acts. This year's drag show will be Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. in the DeRosa University Center Ballroom and our theme is "Keep Calm and Drag On"!
Just Want to Watch?
This is a free event to members of the Pacific and Stockton community. Donations are accepted in order raise money for the Pacific Pride Alliance student organization and the San Joaquin Pride Center. Come and join the fun but come early. Seats go fast once the doors open!
Want to Perform?
We would love for students, faculty, and staff to perform (professional performances are currently being confirmed now). If you or your group would like to be part of the show, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your performer name/group name, your song choice, and real name of each of your members. We will also need a digital copy of your music, which you can bring to the auditions on April 11th. Please note that to be part of the show, there are a few dates which you and or a group representative will need to attend:
- Application Deadline - All performer applicants must submit their information including your performer name/group name, your song choice, and real name of each of your members by Friday, April 4, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. We will also need a digital copy of your music, which you can bring to the auditions on April 17th.
- Drag Show Tutorial (April 8th at 6:00 p.m. in the Regent's Room) This is a short tutorial to meet with members of the Stockton Imperial Court and learn more about what drag is, its relevance to the LGBTQIA community, and ways to make your performance successful.
- Auditions (April 11th at 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. in the Tiger Lounge) While we know you will have a great performance, the committee wants to get a feeling for your act. It is required that all acts attend the audition. The goal is to offer feedback and constructive criticism in order for your performance to be a success. It will also prevent individuals and groups from duplicating performances. If you would like a preferred time slot, you may email us at email@example.com and we will reserve a specific spot for you. If you cannot attend the auditions date, please let us know via email so that we can accommodate your schedule or traveling capabilities.
- Rehearsal (April 24th from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. in the Grace Banquet Hall) This will be our chance to finalize the schedule, check out all the acts, and make sure we have everything ready for the show. If you have a preferred time during which you would like to rehearse, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred time so we can mark you down for that slot. This is a required event for everyone.
- Drag Show (April 26th at 8:00 p.m. in the DeRosa University Center Ballroom) - Please be at the DeRosa University Center Ballroom at University of the Pacific no later than 5:00PM to allow for check-in, costume, and makeup. The show will begin at 8:00PM. A more detailed schedule of the day will become available as we get closer to the show.
Rules and Guidelines:
Feel free to be as conservative or as outrageous as you feel comfortable (just keep in mind that this is a University of the Pacific activity, so all University rules and policies still apply). Please use good common sense. You and your organization will be penalized should any boundaries be crossed. If you have any concerns about your act, please contact the organizing committee at email@example.com. Listed below are the basic rules and guidelines for all performances:
- Acts are lip-sync style. Acts are not to be performed in front of a video (this is not a karaoke show).
- Acts can be an individual or a group consisting of no more than 6 people
- Main performer(s) must be in drag (non-drag "backup singers" are permitted)
- Acts should be no longer than 5 minutes
- Music must be edited for propriety; we must follow the same rules as any Pacific student organization. No strong profanity or lewd references. Basically, copy the version you might hear on the radio (perhaps off of an mp3 player, to retain sound quality). If we do not deem your copy appropriate, your entry may be rejected
- Inclusion in the show will be based on three categories: performance, costume/realism, and potential crowd response
- Tips may be collected but we ask that you consider donating all or part of any monies raised to the Pacific Pride Alliance and the San Joaquin Pride Center
The Pacific Drag Show Planning Committee is excited about this year's show and hope you will be able to join us. If you have any questions, please be sure to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you soon!