Mission Statement for Counseling and Psychological Services
Our mission is to promote student growth and development, with regard to both personal characteristics and interpersonal competencies. We do this in the service of enabling students to benefit from and maximize their educational experience at Pacific. Through individual, couples, and group psychotherapy, persons may come to appreciate the uniqueness of their personalities and discover new ways to develop their potential. We have seen students make personal progress through the therapeutic process.
Additionally, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) serves a role within the University at large. As the mental health experts on campus, we work in conjunction with our colleagues in the Division of Student Life toward the promotion of a healthy university environment for all those who learn and work here. We accomplish this part of the mission by providing professional outreach and educational services and by fostering collaborative relationships across the university.
- A place where your voice will be heard.
- A compassionate and confidential atmosphere to discuss personal concerns.
- Specialized therapeutic assistance to students who are encountering adjustment problems or who are experiencing psychological and emotional distress.
- Our services to Pacific students from all backgrounds, ages, and walks of life.
- Our skills and expertise to the Pacific community through consultation, prevention services, and outreach.
- The unique strengths and challenges of our students, while working to enhance life skills, coping strategies, and interpersonal relationships.
- The academic mission of the University by assisting students in ways that help them remain enrolled at Pacific.
- Our passion and commitment to students' well-being.
- Our ability to model and demonstrate self-care and balance.
- Being flexible and creative in our efforts to assist students.
- Integrity in all of our actions.
Our Multicultural Commitment:
- As members of CAPS Staff, we consistently strive to integrate multiculturalism into the everyday functioning and structure of our agency. We have a great appreciation for the dignity and worth of each person we encounter.
- In our work, we advocate a philosophy of acceptance, compassion and support for those we serve and provide an emotionally safe and respectful environment. We support students of all identities including age, gender, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, language, mental and physical ability, national origin, religion, spirituality, size, socio-economic status, political perspective, and world view. In so doing, we strive to provide services that foster the development and behaviors necessary for success at University of the Pacific as well as in a complex global environment.