School and college banners signifying each of the academic units of the University precede a unit's faculty in the procession and are displayed during the ceremony. Each banner contains symbolism that relates to the various disciplines. The white field at the center symbolizes the arts and letters, which form a basis for all academic programs of the University. The primary color of the banner symbolizes the specific academic discipline. Within the white field is the official emblem of each school or college.
College Of The Pacific
The gold field of this banner signifies the sciences, which combined with the arts and letters, forms the basis for the liberal arts programs offered in the central division of the University. The torch emblem is symbolic of the lamp of knowledge and served as a predecessor to the Mace in the Seal of the University. The emblem also contains a cross which signifies the role of the Methodist Church in the founding of the college in 1851.
This banner's emblems are a key and a book, symbolic of knowledge and wisdom. The lemon-yellow background is representative of the Library Science discipline. The Library's faculty and staff have served all academic areas of the University since its founding in 1851. Collections and services include a variety of print, audiovisual and electronic resources. Original papers and sketches of materials relating to the Gold Rush along with many other special collections are a primary attraction for researchers from around the world.
Conservatory Of Music
The pink field is the accepted color for all disciplines relating to music. The emblem, a contemporary graphic of a musical symbol, was developed in 1987 to signify new directions for the Conservatory, which is the oldest university affiliated conservatory in the West. It was founded in 1878.
Dugoni School Of Dentistry
The lilac colors of Dentistry form the field for this banner. The emblem of the dental caduceus surrounded by a triangle represents the three corners of Dentistry's program: education, research and service.
McGeorge School Of Law
The purple color of law surrounds the logo of McGeorge School of Law, depicting a law book and judicial column symbolizing the study and practice of law.
Gladys L. Benerd School Of Education
The blue field shows disciplines related to education. The lamp of learning forms an emblem for the school, which was founded in 1924 when the University moved to Stockton.
Thomas J. Long School Of Pharmacy And Health Sciences
The green field depicts the pharmacy profession. It surrounds the emblem for the school, the Bowl of Hygeia, who was the Greek goddess of health and is the traditional emblem of pharmacy much as the caduceus represents medicine. The school's modernized version is an adaptation of the official emblem of the American Pharmaceutical Association. Pharmacy and Health Sciences was established in 1955.
Research & Graduate Studies
Although graduate degrees were offered early in the history of the University, a formal organization was not established until 1956. The banner combines the elements of the arts and letters and sciences with the orange and black colors of the University. It shows a portion of the University seal.
School Of Engineering & Computer Science
The orange field surrounds the symbol which reflects the major areas of study within the school: a wheel signifies mechanical engineering; the bridge is for civil engineering; and the center figure illustrates the combined fields of electrical and computer engineering. The School of Engineering and Computer Science was founded in 1958 from a department that dates to the 1930s.
Eberhardt School Of Business
The beige colors of business provide a background for this banner. The emblem was selected from several submitted in a competition among students when the school was renamed in honor of Robert M. Eberhardt, the Eberhardt Family and the Bank of Stockton in 1955, in recognition of a long and enthusiastic support of Pacific.
School Of International Studies
The gold on this banner, coupled with white, reflects the arts and letters and sciences just as they do in the COP flag. The blue globe shows the international nature of the programs that include study-abroad opportunities in more than 100 locations. The school opened in 1987.