Skip to content
  • Print
return to Student Success Coaches


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

A printer-friendly version of our FAQ's is located at this link.

1.     What services can students access through the Referral Center?

Any university service, but the most frequently used are for counseling and psychological services, financial aid assistance, career guidance, tutoring, and/or academic counseling. If a student needs support beyond what can be provided on-campus, our staff will work to connect the student with appropriate community resources.

2.     Should I refer a student even if I've connected them with resources?

Please do!  If you identify a student in need of a specific service and are comfortable, please refer the student directly to the service.  In that situation, please still refer the student to a Success Coach and indicate the service you've connected them with. We will then follow up with the student to check on their progress and assess if other resources would be beneficial. 

3.     Should I tell my student that I am referring him/her to a Success Coach?

It's up to you. Some people do; others don't, depending on the situation. Research has shown that students respond better to referral-based support services when the faculty or staff that referred them communicates to the student they are doing so. However, we will individualize the referral according to the situation.  

4.     Will I receive updates about the referral?

After sending a referral, you will receive an automated message confirming we the receipt of the referral.  Once a staff member has connected with the student and assessed their needs, you will be contacted and provided an update. Please, note, many students receive ongoing support from our staff for which you will not receive updates.  If at any time you would like an update on a referral you submitted, please contact our office. 

5. When is it too late to refer a student?

It's never too late to refer a student, however early referrals tend to have the best outcomes. We receive referrals through the fall and spring semesters as well as summer sessions, particularly after key exams or papers are graded. 

Urgent Concerns/After Hours

Urgent Referral: If you feel the student is in need of urgent support, please consider the following 

immediate action items before submitting a referral center form:

Medical Emergency: For a medical emergency, dial Public Safety's emergency number: 209-946-

Imminent Self-Harm and/or Threat to Others: If you are concerned about a student engaged in 
imminent self-harm or threat to others, please notify Public Safety immediately at the emergency 
number: 209-946-3911. It is recommended you save it as "A_Public Safety Emergency" in your cell 
phone so that it is at the top of the phone contacts list.  

For a description of emergency therapy services available to students, visit the Counseling and 
Psychological Services (CAPS) website.

Disruptive Behavior: If a student becomes confrontational or disruptive, do not become 
argumentative but notify Public Safety immediately. Public Safety will respond and document this 
behavior and it will be forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct for further action.  You may 
also choose to arrange a one-on-one meeting to discuss these outbursts with the student and how 
they will not be tolerated along with possible consequences for further outbursts. Public Safety is 
available to have someone present if you are concerned your safety or can use additional support.

Please keep Public Safety's number in your cell phone and carry it openly so you can call 
immediately if there is an issue.  The emergency number is: 209-946-3911 and it is recommended 
you save it as "A_Public Safety Emergency" in your cell phone so that it is at the top of the phone 
contacts list.  You can also call Public Safety using a blue light phone.

Victim Advocate: provides free and confidential information, advocacy and support to students and 
employees who may be victims of crime, violence or abuse. A confidential sexual assault report 
form can be accessed on the Victim's Advocacy Program website and the Victim Advocate is on-call 24/7 at 209-403-0250.