Skip to content
  • Print
return to Admission


Graduate Admission

University of the Pacific
Knoles Hall 2nd Floor, Room 207 B
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95211-0110

International Student Checklist

International Checklist | Graduate Admission

International Checklist banner

In addition to the application materials listed on the Application Materials page, international applicants must also supply the following information to be considered for admission:


English Proficiency Examination

Applicants whose native language is not English must arrange for official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination to be sent directly to Graduate Admission. The TOEFL exam is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). For a listing of TOEFL codes please see our Graduate Admission Requirements page.

  • Minimum score for admission
    On the TOEFL iBT a minimum score of 80 is required to be considered for admission to a Graduate program. On the IELTS a minimum score of 6.5 is required. (Some programs require a higher scores, please contact specific departments for further information.)
  • Minimum score for graduate assistants
    A score of at least 90 on the TOEFL is required to be considered for an award of a teaching assistantship. Applicants not obtaining the required score for an assistantship may be asked by a unit's admissions committee to submit scores from the Test of Spoken English (TSE), also administered by ETS.

Don't meet our minimum English proficiency requirements? Visit our UOP International Graduate Programs website to learn more about English Language Pathway programs.


Official Foreign Transcripts

Transcripts: official copies of international transcripts are not required for admission since a course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation from an approved transcript evaluation service is required of all international applicants.

In-progress transcripts
If you have not completed your bachelor's degree (or master's degree if applicable) at the time you apply to University of the Pacific, please request transcripts from your university showing the work you have completed to date. These are called IN PROGRESS transcripts and will be marked as No Degree Indicated. These documents are acceptable for admissions evaluating purposes and an admissions decision will be rendered.

Please note that you will receive communication from the Office of Graduate Admission indicating that your transcript requirement has not yet been satisfied. Once you complete your degree, you will need to submit official transcripts showing that the degree has been granted/conferred/completed.


Transcript Evaluation

International students who attended schools outside of the United States must submit an evaluation of academic records to Liaison. The University of the Pacific currently accepts evaluations from the following agencies:

  • World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
  • Foundation for International Services, Inc. (FIS)
    • Note: We will only allow evaluations done on photocopied transcripts on a case-by-case basis.
  • International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF)
  • Transcript Research
  • Joseph Silny & Associates

Please request a course-by-course evaluation including a grade point average (GPA). Official evaluation copies should be sent directly to the application system. If your transcripts are not in English they must be accompanied by an official English translation to the evaluation agency before an evaluation can be processed.

*Note: A final evaluation transcript must show an awarded degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree or higher.

Translating official transcripts
Many schools will be able to accommodate your request to have your transcripts issued in English. If your school is unable to issue official transcripts in English, you have a few options:

  • You may take your transcripts and diploma/proof of degree to the appropriate verifying institution (i.e. Educational Ministry) to have them translated and notarized. The institution can then send those documents directly to the evaluation service in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If the institution will only release the verification to you, please request that they put it in a sealed envelope so that you can forward that envelope directly to the evaluation provider; DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the verification. The documents must be received in their original sealed envelope to be considered official.
  • You can submit your transcripts to a translation service. The translation service can then send those documents directly to the evaluation provider in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If they send the translation to you, it must be forwarded to the evaluation service in its original sealed state. Again, DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the translation; the documents must be sealed to be considered official. You should also request that an official copy (in your native language) accompany the translation so they can compare the original to the translation.

Certification of Finances

Government regulations require that international students provide evidence that they are able to meet the financial requirements of their education, living expenses, and miscellaneous costs. This requires the submission of the Certification of Finances form in the amount to cover all of the aforementioned costs for one year.

Please Note: (International applicants must submit a complete application packet six weeks prior to posted deadlines.)