University of the Pacific invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Internal Audit and Advisory Services.
University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California's first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and ten schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation's most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California's state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences, and an array of graduate programs, while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
About the Role
Director of Internal Audit and Advisory Services
The Director of Internal Audit and Advisory Services is responsible for the University's internal audit operations and for providing advisory services to the University's schools, departments and divisions on risk and compliance matters. A primary focus is partnership with the University's leadership and schools, departments and divisions to understand and mitigate significant risks.
The position reports to the Board of Regents Audit Committee and administratively reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Serve as an advisor and partner to University leadership and the University's schools, departments and divisions on understanding, mitigation, reporting and/or managing risk and compliance matters as requested.
- Assist University leadership in the development of and changes to the Unviersity's risk register, as well as assist schools, departments and divisions in the development of their own risk registers when requested.
- Advise and support the University's newly formed Risk Oversight Committee, a committee focused on understanding and allocating resources to mitigate the University's most significant risks.
- Develop the University's annual internal audit plan in collaboration with and approval of University leadership, prioritizing audits of operations and matters that represent a relatively high probability of occurrence and high potential impact.
- Schedule, perform, manage the schope of and write all internal audit reports.
- Schedule, perform and write all internal audit follow-up reports as necessary.
- As necessary, present internal audit reports to University Leadership, the Board of Regents Audit Committee and relevant schools, departments and divisions.
- Perform investigations as requested by University leadership and/or the Board of Regents.
- Identify and coordinate with external experts when needed for specific audits and/or investigations.
- Coordinate and communicate with the University's external auditor as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a business/accounting/finance field.
- Five (5) years of experience in a related field.
- A certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or any similar certification.
- Two (2) years of higher education work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to partner and collaborate with a broad spectrum of constituents.
- Advanced knowledge of theories and systems of internal controls (financial, management and information systems), financial analysis, auditing practices and procedures and legal compliance.
- Excellent project management skills; demonstrated ability to work independently and achieve audit objectives on multiple complex projects running simultaneously and complete projects by required due dates.
- Experience and sensitivity in working with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience in advancing social justice, equity and inclusion in a university setting.
- Ability to engage and integrate culturally responsive practices and knowledge in their work.