University of the Pacific invites nominations and applications for the position of General Counsel.
University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California's first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and ten schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation's most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California's state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences, and an array of graduate programs, while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
About the Role
The General Counsel will serve as a crucial legal advisor, providing comprehensive counsel and guidance on significant legal matters to university leaders. This role involves shaping the institution's legal strategy and acting as a thought leader and strategic advisor. They will possess strong problem-solving skills, sound judgment, and a proactive approach. They should thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, actively mitigating risks while collaborating with colleagues to drive the university's growth. Integrity, professional ethics, and commitment to the university's mission are essential.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and membership in good standing in the California State Bar.
- Fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible legal experience, including at least five (5) years in higher education, either as an in-house Office of General Counsel or with higher education clients.
- Experience with a comparable private, non-profit institution and its governing board is highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge, and Expertise:
- Legal Knowledge: Strong foundation in contract, employment, intellectual property, and education law.
- Higher Education & Civil Rights Laws: Familiarity with federal and state education, civil rights laws, and privacy.
- Policy Development: Demonstrated ability to draft, review, and advise on university policies and procedures.
- Risk Assessment: Demonstrated ability to Identify and mitigate legal risks associated with university activities.
- Contract Negotiation: Strong negotiation skills for complex agreements and vendor relationships.
- Dispute Resolution: Demonstrated ability to analyze legal issues, develop strategies, and manage proceedings.
- Ethics and Compliance: Demonstrated experience upholding ethical conduct and managing legal compliance.
- Leadership and Communication: Demonstrated ability to lead legal teams and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Crisis Management: Demonstrated ability to provide legal guidance during emergencies while protecting university interests.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate legal concepts effectively to various audiences.
Applications and Inquiries
University of the Pacific has retained Major, Lindsey & Africa, a global legal executive search firm, to assist with this search.
Apply now and be part of our remarkable journey toward future success and growth.
For more information, please contact: