University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California’s first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and 10 schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation’s most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California’s state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences and an array of graduate programs while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President for Strategic Communications, the Senior Director of Digital Communications is responsible for leading, developing, managing and executing effective digital communications strategies to enhance Pacific’s brand and reputation and to deepen engagement of prospective students and families, and alumni and donors.
As the most senior lead for all digital channels and touchpoints for Pacific’s three campuses, the Senior Director of Digital Communications provides leadership, vision and strategy for social media, websites, e-communications, digital properties and digital experiences to ensure alignment with and support of the university’s mission, vision, values, and strategic goals.
This leader brings a deep and diverse understanding of web design; social media strategy; new and emerging digital technologies and best practices; development and management; analytics; email marketing; content strategy; SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing); as well as a working knowledge of contemporary content management systems, project management and analytics. They are an outstanding manager of people and resources who develops teams to their full potential and works collaboratively with communications colleagues to reach target audiences and drive organic and paid traffic to the university’s website, social media and digital publications. They supervise the web communications manager, web content specialist and web project manager.
University Strategic Communications advances and promotes awareness, understanding and support of the university’s mission, vision and accomplishments. Our award-winning team of writers, editors, designers, photographers/videographers, digital professionals and communications leaders creates inspiring content and engaging experiences that elevate Pacific’s unique brand of personalized learning and professional pathways.
Our role leverages our expertise in external and internal communications, media relations and issues management, community relations, digital and social media and web strategy. We oversee the university’s brand identity including graphic design, photography/videography and print and digital publications.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, branding, digital communications, business, new media, or related discipline.
- Ten or more years of experience in digital functions, including (not limited to) digital strategy, content marketing, digital advertising, website strategy and deployment, user experience and architecture and SEO strategy development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of developing, measuring and executing digital communications campaigns.
- Experience working with senior leaders on strategic initiatives.
- Substantial technical experience and knowledge.
- Deep understanding of customer intent, behavior and customer journeys.
- Deep experience and understanding of social media and how to effectively use channels.
- Expert ability to produce and measure the effectiveness of high-quality content across a wide range of platforms, including social media, digital media and websites.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Adept at setting and measuring KPIs to demonstrate progress toward goals.
- Strong project- and time-management skills.
- Proficient in working in content management systems as well as Adobe, Microsoft Office, HTML and CSS, and Google Analytics.
- Adaptable problem-solver and team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and meets deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented and strong ability to multi-task and work on a cross-functional team.
- Proficiency to build and manage high-performance, highly collaborative teams.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability. The university will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.