University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California’s first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and 10 schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation’s most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California’s state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences and an array of graduate programs while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
Reporting to the Design Director, the Videographer/Photographer will tell visual stories using a variety of media including still photography and video. The Videographer/Photographer is responsible for creating compelling photography and videography for use in university websites, various social media channels, digital campaigns, printed publications and advertisements as well as campus signature events.
Guided by strategic priorities, this individual also will be called on to capture a variety of current and historical photos related to strategic storytelling, campus beauty, university events, ceremonies, lectures and performances, and to provide portraiture of faculty, staff, administration, students and other diverse subjects all while using a high level of creativity and independent judgment. The Videographer/Photographer will also seek and create opportunities to enhance multimedia storytelling and support the department’s social media, digital, print and branding campaigns.
University Strategic Communications advances and promotes awareness, understanding and support of the university’s mission, vision and accomplishments. Our award-winning team of writers, editors, designers, videographers/photographers, digital professionals and communications leaders creates inspiring content and engaging experiences that elevate Pacific’s unique brand of personalized learning and professional pathways.
Our role leverages our expertise in external and internal communications, media relations and issues management, community relations, digital and social media and web strategy. We oversee the university’s brand identity including graphic design, videography/photography and print and digital publications (such as this one). Like what you see? You’ll have the opportunity to work on publications like this.
- Bachelor’s degree in film studies, videography, photography or photojournalism or related field.
- Three (3) years of full-time experience as a professional videographer/photographer.
- Skill in creatively and imaginatively producing video and photographs.
- Outstanding portfolio of high-quality videos and images and a demonstrated ability to shoot outstanding images in a wide variety of scenarios (special events, news photos, portraits, groups, receptions, sports and action scenes, landscapes, buildings, etc.).
- Knowledge of videography and photographic principles, practices and techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of videography and photographic lighting techniques.
- Knowledge of programs and platforms to build video and photo galleries, slide shows and other multimedia storytelling elements.
- Experience in photo and video editing.
- Experience organizing and maintaining an extensive database of videos and photos.
- Extensive skills with video- and photo-editing software and image-management systems, as well as Microsoft Office applications; knowledge of video-editing software and processes, such as
- Final Cut Pro. Adobe Creative Suite experience especially helpful.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, successfully prioritize tasks and deadlines, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently manage one’s own time.
- Excellent command of the English language, including grammar and spelling.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience dealing effectively with a wide range of people.
- Outstanding customer service skills and desire to assist others; approachable; ability to quickly establish rapport, making people feel comfortable and welcome.
- Must be able to perform in a rapidly changing environment and be flexible and adaptable.
- Must perform in a professional manner, and maintain competency and a positive attitude in a fast-paced work environment.
- Have a tactful and diplomatic manner that leaves a positive impression.
- Maintain a positive “helping” disposition and a stellar work ethic.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate after-hours and weekend events.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability. The university will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.