University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California’s first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and 10 schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation’s most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California’s state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences and an array of graduate programs while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
The Writer/Editor will assist with the development and implementation of effective communication strategies and tactics to inform the university community of news, events, activities and updates on strategic initiatives. The Writer/Editor will contribute to the modernization of Pacific’s internal communications, elevate its storytelling and positively impact its brand by planning, writing, editing and managing content consistent with university brand, voice and style.
The Writer/Editor will report to the Internal Communications Director and collaborate with department colleagues in digital communications, community relations and design, and colleagues across the university. Using excellent storytelling, editing and proofreading skills, the Writer/Editor will tailor content for the university’s internal and external websites, weekly employee e-newsletter, email blasts, print and digital communications and central university events calendar. This position is located on the Stockton Campus and will work on campus. It is not remote.
University Strategic Communications advances and promotes awareness, understanding and support of the university’s mission, vision and accomplishments. Our award-winning team of writers, editors, designers, photographers/videographers, digital professionals and communications leaders creates inspiring content and engaging experiences that elevate Pacific’s unique brand of personalized learning and professional pathways.
Our role leverages our expertise in external and internal communications, media relations and issues management, community relations, digital and social media and web strategy. We oversee the university’s brand identity including graphic design, photography/videography and print and digital publications.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or other related field.
- Ten years of experience writing for digital platforms and print publications.
- Experience in planning, writing, editing and managing and measuring content for digital and print communication projects.
- Experience using interpersonal, communication and active listening skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of internal and external constituencies.
- Experience with various types of marketing and communications channels including social media, electronic newsletters, websites, etc.
- Experience using Windows, Microsoft Word/Outlook/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Excellent command of the English language, including grammar, writing, presentation and verbal communications.
- Excellent storytelling skills.
- Outstanding proofreading and editing skills.
- Experience leveraging digital strategy to tell brand stories.
- Experience using Microsoft SharePoint and working with and within a CMS, such as Drupal.
- Experience using project management and collaboration software, such as Asana or Trello.
- Familiar with email marketing software, such as Constant Contact or MailChimp.
- Familiar with creative content platforms such as Adobe Spark.
- Familiar with intranets, social media platforms, apps and tools.
- Familiar with Associated Press (AP) style.
- Expertise in communications best practices, including use of photos, video, social media and text to communicate effectively.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated, proactive and works well with minimal direction.
- Customer-service driven.
- Strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanor and an exceptional level of organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle many projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain a positive “helping” disposition and a stellar work ethic.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability. The university will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.