Skip to content
  • Print
return to Student Health Services


Insurance Office
Cowell Wellness Center
Charity Torres
Student Insurance Coordinator
3601 Pacific Ave
Pacific Health Services
Stockton, CA 95211

Insurance Enrollment

Visit the UOP Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk site to create an account for a temporary insurance card, FAQ, resources, and links.

Check out Anthem's Mobile App!

2018-2019 Benefit Changes
SHIP Changes

The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive health plan that provides a full range of medical services, including in/out patient services, specialty care, emergency care, dental care, hospitalization, mental health care, vision services and pharmacy coverage.

Health insurance is a mandatory non-academic condition for enrollment. To ensure that all students have adequate health care coverage, including ongoing primary and specialty care, and to satisfy the mandatory health insurance requirement, Pacific automatically enrolls all registered students into the SHIP.

How am I enrolled in SHIP?

Each term that you are enrolled in classes at Pacific, your student account is automatically charged the fee for SHIP and you will be enrolled automatically*. The fee will appear on your e-bill statement as a separate charge. If you are already covered by another insurance plan and wish to opt out of the SHIP and have the SHIP fee waived, you must apply for a Health Insurance Waiver. A new waiver must be submitted for each academic year. Please note: you will receive an insurance card at the mailing address listed within the university system. Please make sure you update any changes with the Registrar's Office.

If you are not automatically enrolled due to your student status, please email or come in person to the Insurance Office located in the Cowell Wellness Center on the Stockton campus.

How much does SHIP cost?

Academic Year 2018-2019
Undergraduate: $1,226 per semester
Graduate/Professional/Law: $1,592 per semester
Dental: $796.00 per quarter 

The fee is charged to your student billing account along with the other mandatory registration fees each term.  

When does SHIP coverage begin and end?

Undergraduate, Graduate, Professional and Law Students:
8/1/2017 - 1/31/2018
Spring/Summer: 2/1/2018-7/31/2018

Dental Students:
7/1/2017 - 12/31/2017
Spring/Summer: 1/1/2018-6/30/2018

How do I get a copy of my insurance card?

An insurance card will be mailed to the address on file with the university once the waiver deadline has passed. If you need a temporary card please contact the Insurance Office at 209.946.2027.

What are my benefits under SHIP?
Your SHIP benefits are listed in the SHIP brochure, which can be downloaded here:

2018-19 Anthem Blue Cross Benefit Guide

2017-2018 Anthem Blue Cross- All Campuses
2017-2018 Anthem Blue Cross Summary of Benefits and Coverage

2016-2017 Anthem Blue Cross- All Campuses

2015-2016 Anthem Blue Cross- All Campuses

2014-2015 Anthem Blue Cross - All Campuses

The brochure includes important information, such as referral requirements, hospital and surgical pre-certification requirements and excluded services. 

Social Security Number Reporting Requirements

University of the Pacific does report Social Security numbers to Anthem as part of your enrollment information in order to comply with the Affordable Care Act federal legislation.

Information for Pacific students with Anthem student insurance who have not supplied their Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to the Pacific Registrar:
You may receive a letter from the Anthem insurance company asking for your Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), for the purposes of reporting your compliance with health insurance coverage as mandated under the Affordable Care Act federal legislation (ACA). The law requires that Anthem make three attempts to collect this information from you. Pacific is not involved in collecting this information, and you should follow the directions in the letter to report your numbers directly to them confidentially. For any questions about their processes, please call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card. The Anthem letter will be sent to the local address you have on file in the Pacific Registrar's Office. Please be sure to keep this updated so that you can receive correspondence from Anthem about your coverage.   WHY IS THIS REPORTING IMPORTANT? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires health insurance plans to provide annual verification to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), that you were covered under a qualified plan during the year. This is because individuals (including students) who are covered under qualified plans for the year will not be subject to tax penalties for failure to have health coverage as required under the ACA.   EXEMPTIONS Certain individuals are exempt from this requirement. You will still receive a statement of coverage but you do not need to provide a SSN.

To see a list of exemptions, go to Q/A 6 of the IRS Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision

The remaining questions and answers at this site provide a good overview of the individual shared responsibility rules under the ACA.

*Not all students are automatically enrolled. Automatic enrollment is based on the amount of registered units per term. Undergraduate and graduate students must be registered for 9 units or more, Law students must be registered for 6 units or more, and Dental students must be registered for 1 unit or more before automatic enrollment will occur. Students falling below the required units can choose to enroll in the plan but must do so in an active manner by contacting the Insurance Office. Students studying abroad and certain other off-campus students are not automatically enrolled regardless of units but are still eligible for the plan.

For further information, please call the Insurance Office at 209.946.2027.