Student Life is a leader and advocate within the University of the Pacific and our profession by inspiring and cultivating global student citizens for a lifetime of learning, growth, engagement, and service.
As Vice President of Student Life, Carrie Lovelace Petr leads 26 departments serving all three campuses at the University of the Pacific. Her responsibilities include supervising 112 full time employees, over 500 student staff members, and managing a budget in excess of $30M. She holds a Ph.D and Master of Arts degrees in Higher Education Administration from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Berry College in Mt. Berry, Georgia.
As a passionate advocate for the college student experience, Dr. Petr has enjoyed a rich and varied career in student life. Dr. Petr has held responsibility for retention, student engagement, judicial affairs and Title IX. She has been responsible for leadership development, residential housing, new student orientation and Greek life. Prior to Pacific, Dr. Petr served as Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students at Doane University where she held a variety of positions of increasing responsibility. She has worked in student services at the University of Evansville (Indiana), at Macalester College (Minnesota) the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of Maryland-College Park. In addition to her work supporting the co-curricular life of students, Dr. Petr has taught a variety of college courses, and while at Doane University she served as the founding director and faculty for the Zenon C.R. Hansen minor in Leadership Studies.
Dr. Petr and her husband are the proud parents of a college-age daughter and have a dog of whom they are very fond.
Student Life Vision
Student Life will be a leader and advocate within the University of the Pacific and our profession by inspiring and cultivating global student citizens for a lifetime of learning, growth, engagement, and service.
Student Life Mission
The DIVISION OF STUDENT LIFE mission is to provide transformative educational experiences and essential services that advance student success.
Student Life Values
Through innovative thinking and dynamic programs, each Student Life member focuses on students' personal growth and educational experience. These values inform our individual roles and departmental functions and unify us as a Division. We realize our mission through:
- Potential - We are committed to providing a living, learning, and working environment that encourages both our students and our staff to reach their full potential;
- Student Development - We believe in educating the whole student by developing and supporting their emotional, environmental, financial, ethical, intellectual, physical, and social needs;
- Meaning and Purpose - We believe in the importance of providing opportunities to those seeking meaning and purpose in ones' life and value the various activities and practices associated with a religious or spiritual tradition including, but not limited to, meditation, reflection, or prayer;
- Responsible Leadership - We believe that leadership manifests itself in many forms. It can be taught, developed, and nurtured and is a tool that encourages success throughout a student's education, lives', and future careers;
- Achievement - We believe that each student is unique and deserves a comprehensive system of support services that will assist in meeting their educational and personal goals;
- Diversity and Inclusion - We are committed to social justice, diversity, and challenging forms of hate and exclusion, and;
- Community Involvement - We believe in the value of community service, volunteerism, and the importance of civic engagement, connection, and participation.