• Print

How to Report

We encourage you to report harassment/assaults against all members of our community. Reporting will not change what happened to you or a member of our community, but it may help stop it from happening to someone else.

Reporting an incident of harassment/sexual assault is a difficult yet important decision. We encourage survivors of sexual assault and members of our community to report sexual misconduct. Making a report may help with recovery, provide support and services, and prevent the offender from assaulting someone else. Reporting options are not mutually exclusive. Both internal and criminal reports may be pursued simultaneously. Survivors are encouraged to select a friend or family member who can support them throughout this process.

On-Campus Reporting Options

The University of the Pacific takes incidents of sexual misconduct very seriously and encourages students to report all incidents. Students are free to report instances of sexual misconduct to the University regardless of whether or not they choose to press formal charges with law enforcement.

In all situations, Pacific's goal is to treat all complainants (alleged victims) with sensitivity and fairness while also ensuring that the respondent (alleged perpetrator) receives appropriate due process. Both the complainant and the respondent are entitled to a support person throughout the reporting, investigation and hearing process. Please refer to Modified Hearing Procedures for Victim/Witness Protection  for more information. If a student discusses the incident with a University staff, or faculty member, with the exception of therapists from Counseling and Psychological Services and the Student Victim Advocate, who are confidential resources, the staff member or faculty member must contact the Student Victim Advocate to file an Anonymous Report of sexual misconduct, which will be forwarded to Public Safety, as required by the Clery Act.

Anonymous Reporting

Any student, staff, or faculty member may file an anonymous report.  The report form need not include the name of the complainant nor the accused unless the student chooses to include them.  Initials of the complainant should be included to be able to keep a record of the report in the event the complainant wishes to file a formal report at a future time. Filing an anonymous report will assist the University in compiling crime statistics.  It will not result in a police investigation. Copies of the report form are available online and can be found on the Student Victim Advocate site found on the Public Safety main page.

Formal Reporting Options

Students may elect to file a formal report through the Student Victim Advocate or Public Safety. A formal report will include the names of the student filing the report and will include the name of the accused, if known. If a student chooses to file a formal report, then the following procedures may result:

  • University Student Conduct Process - The Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards will review the referral to determine if there is sufficient evidence to file a complaint against a student for a violation of this Code and to hold a student conduct hearing or engage in alternative complaint resolution options.
  • Criminal Justice Process - The report may lead to a review by the criminal justice system, whether or not the University judicial system is reviewing the matter. Students may choose to report these incidents to the University Public Safety Department or to any other law enforcement agency. The Student Victim Advocate or Public Safety Officer can assist in the reporting process within the criminal justice system.
  • Civil Suits - A victim can file a civil suit for monetary damages against an alleged perpetrator for causing physical or emotional injuries, regardless of the outcome of the student conduct process or criminal prosecution.

Contact Information: Department of Public Safety - (209) 946-2537 or Victims' Advocate - (209) 403-0250

NOTE: Reporting to the police is not the same as pressing charges against an offender.

Options for filing a report - Download the report form (PDF)

Off-Campus Reporting Options

Contact a Trained Advocate

It may be helpful for survivors to have someone who can help them explore their off-campus options and guide them through legal processes; an advocate can provide assistance in this area. A local resources, Women's Center: Youth and Family Services, provides a wide range of services to community members affected directly by sexual abuse and to those close to them, including crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, advocacy, accompaniment, and referral services. In addition, they offer a variety of educational and training programs about personal safety and prevention. 

San Joaquin Women's Center: Youth and Family Services
(209) 929-6700
Sexual Assault Hotline (209) 465-4997
729 North California Street Stockton, CA 95202

Report to the Stockton Police Department

Stockton Police Department
(209) 937-7911 (Emergency)/ (209) 937-8377 (Non-Emergency)
22 East Market Street

Stockton, CA 95202

For Emergencies

Call 911

Report to the Office for Civil Rights

Individuals with complaints of this nature also have the right to file a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

90 7th Street, Suite 4-100

San Francisco, CA 94103

Voice Phone (415) 437-8310

FAX (415) 437-8329

TDD (415) 437-8311

Customer Service Hotline: (800) 421-3481