Home » All Posts » Everything you need to know about New Student and Family Orientation

Everything you need to know about New Student and Family Orientation

Hey, Tigers! Are you ready for New Student and Family Orientation? Check out the FAQ below for all the information you need to prepare for the big day.

You can see the calendar of Orientation and Pacific Welcome events on the university’s website.

Why do I have to attend Orientation?

New Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students. You will learn about the academic expectations of your major and school, connect with your fellow students, and learn about what it means to be a part of the Pacific community.

How do I make a reservation for New Student and Family Orientation?

You can make an Orientation reservation through your Admitted Student Portal. Log into your dashboard, then click “Register for Orientation.”

What if I want to change my major?

If you want to change their major, you must reach out to the Office of Admissions before New Student Orientation. If you wish to change your major after New Student Orientation, you’ll need wait until you meet with your academic adviser on Wednesday, August 23.

Can I bring someone with me to Orientation?

During Orientation, we offer a Family Orientation program. You can register up to two guests to participate in that program. There is a $60 fee for each participating guest. You can register their family members ahead of Orientation in your Admitted Students Portal or onsite during Orientation check-in, August 19-20.

Will I receive an email confirmation of my reservation?

Yes! In fact, you’ll get two confirmations. Immediately after you make a reservation, you’ll be sent a confirmation through the portal. A few days prior to your Orientation session, you will be sent another confirmation with details on parking, where to check-in and the schedule of the day. Please be sure to check your Pacific email for details.

When is Orientation for New Students and Family Members?

There will be mandatory pre-Orientation activities for new students beginning Sunday, August 20 and then you will participate in two full days of Orientation programming across Monday, August 21 and Tuesday, August 22. All family members are invited to attend welcome and pre-Orientation activities on Sunday, August 20 with you, but only registered family members will be able to attend the official New Family Orientation program on Monday, August 21.

Can I stay overnight in the Pacific residence hall rooms for Orientation if I don’t live on campus?

Unfortunately, no. We will not be able to provide overnight accommodation for students not living on campus during the academic year to participate in Orientation and other Pacific Welcome Week activities. Students who will live in the residential communities during the academic year will move into their assigned living spaces August 19-20.

What if I cannot attend Orientation?

Orientation is a required event for all new students living on and off-campus. If you have work commitments, most employers understand the importance of this event for college students. We strongly suggest you make attendance at Orientation a priority. This is a critical step to take for your pathway to success in college. If you are unable to attend Orientation, please contact our office as soon as possible at orientation@pacific.edu.

When will I receive the Orientation schedule?

The schedule of events for Pacific Welcome Week (Move-in, New Student and Family Orientation, and Week of Welcome) is available on the Pacific website and a physical copy will be available in person during Orientation check-in.

What if I miss my Orientation date or need to cancel?

Refunds cannot be made and we will not offer an alternative Orientation session. We strongly suggest you make attendance at Orientation a priority.

What if I did not take my Placement exams before Orientation?

If you were not able to take Placements before Orientation, that is no problem. You will have two opportunities to take the necessary Placement exams on Sunday, August 20 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and based on these scores, your academic program will provide you with a revised schedule during your academic advising meeting on Wednesday, August 23.

How do I check-in for Orientation?

You and your family will check in for Orientation on Saturday August 19 and Sunday August 20. This is the only time Orientation check-in will be available.

What should I bring to with me to my in-person orientation?

Our recommended list of items to bring includes:

• Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses and comfortable clothing – It can be hot on campus during the summer, and you will be spending some time outside.
  • Water bottle – Students will be provided with a reusable water bottle at check-in, but they are welcome to bring their own.
  • A laptop – Recommended for academic advising on Wednesday, August 23 if students intend to make adjustments to their Fall 2023 schedule. A tablet or phone will not suffice for course enrollment.
  • A notebook and pen If you would like to take notes, feel free to bring a physical notebook and something to write with.
  • A phone charger or portable charger – We do not have any to provide.
  • Any medications you may need

Additional Questions

All other questions about Orientation programming and new student onboarding can be directed to the Office of Orientation and Transition Programs at 209.946.7619 or orientation@pacific.edu.