Supportive Faculty and Small Classes
While we excel in scholarship and research, teaching undergraduate mathematics is the task we value most. Our class sizes are small, enabling us to tailor courses to student need:
- Lower division courses have 15-40 students.
- Upper division courses have fewer students, typically around 10.
Mathematician and Statistician were recently ranked #3 and #4, respectively in Career Cast's "Best Jobs of 2015". Mathematics also plays an important role in many growing fields including actuarial science (the #1 job of 2015), data analytics, finance, and technology. Even if your primary major is in another area, you may want to consider doing a second major in math to enhance your marketability and earning potential. Recent graduates of our math program have been successful in obtaining a diverse range of positions in industry such as
- Business Analyst for PG&E
- Crime Analyst for Modesto County
- Data Analyst for Rocket EMS
- Digital Media Intern for the San Diego Chargers
- Financial Analyst for Allstate
- Logistic Management Specialist for the Navy
- Software Engineer for Lawrence Livermore Laboratories
Graduates pursuing teaching have also been successful in obtained positions throughout California. Graduates choosing to further their education in math have been accepted into a wide range of graduate programs including
- MS in Data Analytics at UC Berkeley
- PhD in Statistics at the University of Arizona
- PhD in Mathematics at the University of Southern California
- PhD in Applied Matheamtics at the University of Minnesota
- PhD in Mathematics at the University of Kentucky
Wide Range of Degree Options
A variety of degree options are available through the Mathematics Department to meet a range of career and academic goals. The department also provides courses that allow students from other disciplines and professional programs to develop the quantitative skills necessary for success in their chosen field.
We have a major program that will suit your needs:
- The B.A. in mathematics requires 10 math courses; this gives students room to take coursework for another interest such as preparation for law or medical school.
- If you are planning for graduate study in mathematics or economics or a career in mathematics, our B.S. in mathematics is a good choice.
- If you are looking for a second major or are interested in graduate study in engineering, the B.S. in applied mathematics might be right for you.
- We offer curriculum designed to prepare future high school math teachers for the CSET exams.
Get Involved in Research
Math majors at Pacific have the opportunity to do research with faculty. Pacific students have been accepted at some of the most prestigious summer undergraduate research programs in the country.