History of Morris Chapel
The University of the Pacific was founded by Methodist ministers, and while it is no longer affiliated with the Methodist church but is a private, non-denominational chapel, Morris Chapel bears witness to our history and our continuing commitment to support the spiritual lives of all Pacific students.
Much of the chapel's beauty is due to the collection of stained glass windows, which were originally installed in the Temple Methodist Church in San Francisco in 1930. When they gave up their building in 1937, the church trustees presented the windows to the University. Morris Chapel, dedicated on April 19, 1942, was built to hold these windows.
The three tall, narrow lancet windows, above and behind the altar, are known as the Sanctuary Window. Over the gallery at the rear of the church is the Rose Window. Adorning the side arches in the nave the Apostles’ Creed inscribed in Latin.