University of the Pacific invites nominations and applications for the position of Chief Communications Officer.
University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked comprehensive university and California's first chartered institution of higher learning. Established in 1851, Pacific has nearly 6,300 students and ten schools and colleges across three campuses in northern California.
The majority of students and the NCAA Division 1 athletics program are based on the Stockton Campus, often cited as one of the nation's most beautiful college campuses. The Sacramento Campus in California's state capital is home to the McGeorge School of Law, the new School of Health Sciences, and an array of graduate programs, while the renowned Dugoni School of Dentistry is based on the downtown San Francisco Campus.
Pacific takes pride in providing the highly personalized and caring educational, social and residential environments of a small college combined with the choices and opportunities of a major comprehensive university.
About the Role
Chief Communications Officer
University of the Pacific is seeking a high-energy, forward-thinking communications executive to lead the Office of Strategic Communications. The successful candidate will be both a long-term strategic thinker and a tactician who can execute with a sense of urgency. The Chief Communications Officer (CCO) is responsible for the university’s branding and communications strategies aligned with its mission, vision, values and strategic priorities across all platforms – digital, social and print. The CCO will work closely with the President and other key stakeholders to build and enhance the university’s regional and national footprint.
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years in progressive leadership positions in strategic communications
- Experience in higher education or other complex, matrixed environments
- Experience leading creative teams including writers, editors, designers, digital professionals, photographers/videographers, social media specialists, external agencies and partners
- Demonstrated experience in driving brands and brand strategy with measurable results that have met goals
Key Skills and Attributes:
- A high-energy, positive, optimistic and forward-looking leader
- An executive who embraces both relationship-based leadership and data-driven decision-making
- Ability to be both a long-term strategic thinker and a fast-moving tactician
- Passion for creativity, risk-taking and entrepreneurial leadership
- Desire to partner with and support high-level senior executives
- Passion for higher education
Applications and Inquiries
University of the Pacific has retained SP&A Executive Search, a national executive recruiting firm, to assist with this search. Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Applicants must submit: a current curriculum vitae and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. For fullest consideration, applicants are advised to submit their materials by October 2023. Nomination letters should include contact information for the nominees. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence. SP&A will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled.